[MPWG] re:GIS and Medicinal Plants

AngelGdnr at aol.com AngelGdnr at aol.com
Wed Mar 23 13:30:11 CST 2005

First, I want to appreciate everyone who responded to my first posting on
GIS.  I have long been in awe of the wealth of knowledge, talent and resources
that this group collectively shares.

It seems that there is a good bit of interest in collecting data and mapping
medicinal plants.  There are some good projects already underway that will
deepen understanding at many levels through the use of GIS/GPS and modeling
technology.

I would still like to hear from the members of this list: What kinds of GIS
projects people think would benefit the conservation and smart use of medicinal
plant communities?  How might GIS be useful the grower, the industry, the
land stewards, the scientists?

I've been thinking of ways patches of medicinals in the urban and suburban
environments could be conserved, encouraged and/or reintroduced.  A GIS could be
used for planning, modeling and relocation efforts.
 With the native plant society I have done plant rescues, some of them are
medicinals and some are threatened or endangered species. The plant digs usually
happen prior to development.  In the surrounding Atlanta area, which is where
I am there has been a tremendous amount of growth.

Invasive, non-native species are often what fills in the disturbed land.  So
after the development process even establishing a healthy landscape can be
challenging in the raw clay.  I think GIS projects here could be useful as well.
What do ya'll think?

It's a wonderful treasure to be able have searchable, customizable and
readily available data and maps with GIS providing tools that will find many jobs to
do.  I would sure like to keep this conversation going.

Does anyone have any GIS stories to tell?  Projects, findings, data
resources, interests?
Look forward to hearing more and involving myself in projects.

Sincerely,
DeAnna Hohnhorst
GIS Apprentice
404-289-6806