[MPWG] Cultivation of Medicinal Plants

Jean Giblette hfg at capital.net
Fri Jan 7 10:21:55 CST 2005

I know many growers in the U.S., Europe, Australia and New Zealand who consider themselves to be the ORIGINATORS of this knowledge base of ecological cultivation.  Yes, there were the prophets -- Okada, Howard, Steiner, Voisin, Fukuoka -- but in the industrial world the machine worldview has ruled for a century.  Organics was an entirely grass-roots activity for 50 years in the U.S. until the Federal rule was formulated in the 1990s.  The agricultural education establishment was actively hostile to it.  [Steve Diver has been quite the exception to the norm, all along.]  I myself was rebuffed by my local Ag Extension agent in the early '90s when I began growing Chinese medicinal herbs -- now he's very courteous and helpful. Fortunately I was able to find enlightened academics, but many are encumbered by their institutions.  The ecological farmers have created their own separate teaching organizations, associations and conferences.

Bio-dynamics, historically, was developed only by growers, never the province of the academy or industrial concerns unless owned by Anthroposophists.  It was almost entirely underground until the 1990s in the U.S., as its practitioners were met with utter derision at the idea of following the course of the moon in their procedures, or using fermented herbal preparations in homeopathic doses.  As far as I'm concerned, a bio-dynamically cultivated herb is as good or better than a wild plant.  I visited two biodynamic medicinal plant gardens this past summer, in NY and Quebec, where the plants exhibited truly astonishing vitality.  It's so apparent I call it the "Findhorn effect."

For one moment, can we address class prejudice against farmers?  An anecdote will serve.  This past September at the conclusion of one of my workshops, an Oriental medicine practitioner in attendance told me that the weekend had changed his life.  He's a young African-American man, practicing in Jersey, whose ancestors were sharecroppers in North Carolina.  He said, "I always thought that farming was beneath me, something I would never want to be involved in.  Then I saw that man [referring to the bio-dynamic medicinal plant grower who was lecturing], how incredibly skilled and thoughtful he is, and how wide-ranging his knowledge.  And my whole worldview shifted."  He later told me he had enrolled himself and his two young children in a horticulture course.

To be ruthlessly frank, the big deficit of this listserve is that the growers are missing from the discussion.  I can afford the time to write this response only because I'm holed up after a snowstorm in January.

Ecological cultivation of medicinal plants is the way to go.

Jean Giblette, Director
HIGH FALLS GARDENS
Box 125 Philmont NY 12565 USA
518-672-7365