[MPWG] Doctoral question "ginseng poaching" and advice

Center for Sustainable Resources sustainableresources at hotmail.com
Sun Feb 13 12:42:58 CST 2005

Dear Sir, This is an increasing concern among growers as investments in
ginseng plantings have become more serious amounts of money on the ground.
The area you refer too in SE Ohio is a hot bed for poaching issues perhaps
because more people live there than you find in WV where I am.
Most poaching issues we find nowadays go unpunished because poachers
traditionally have senged without boudaries throughout WV. Poaching however
is less of a problem in WV these days simply because less and less people
actually dig ginseng. The old timers are dying off. Not many young people
these days learn this tradition.
However with the investments of growers mentioned just one poacher can do a
lot of damage quickly in more intensively planted areas.
Proposed legislation in WV at this time will require that diggers have
written permission from a landowner to dig , that they have a permit for
digging ginseng if they dig on property other than their own and penalties
for ginseng theft will be treated more severely. I stress this is proposed
legislation . History shows us that thieves garner more support from
government than working people quite often.
As a founding memebr of the WVGGA I stress security issues with growers.
Layout of the operation and the many mechanisms for catching would be thiefs
are all important. During the past two years no one has been prosecuted in
WV for ginseng poaching although a few accounts of theft have occurred. The
problem is that if the thief is caught then it becomes your word against
theirs.
The same proposed legislation will address a certification process for
growers such that plantings will be on record and can't be disposed of as
simply wild ginseng the landowner wanted to claim.
I hope this helps.
e have our own methods here which can't be discussed publicly. However I
will just say that when I catch a tresspasser I have never had one to come
back again. Fred Hays