[MPWG] Doctoral question "ginseng poaching" and advice

R&J Pokladnik randi at clover.net
Sun Feb 13 10:09:38 CST 2005

Dear MPWG readers,

I am a doctoral student at Antioch New England in Keene, New Hampshire and am about to embark on the doctoral research portion of my dissertation. I have been working with issues surrounding ginseng, in particular poaching and its effects on growers and the development of sustainable economic development in rural areas of Appalachia.
My preliminary question:

How does the problem of poaching affect current ginseng growers and what are the implications for continued development of ginseng based NTFP programs in Appalachia?

I have lived in rural SE Ohio for 50 years and have watched the poverty and environmental destruction go unchecked in many regions. My background is in chemistry and environmental studies (no biology).  I am interested in discussing the effects of poaching with the rural growers. I am very supportive of woods cultivated ginseng programs and the possibility of economic gains in areas that support these programs.  My intentions are to help growers with this research and  I am asking for suggestions that you feel would direct this question and my research to that end. I am working with a deadline to submit my proposal by May 1 and any help would be appreciated.

Please email me directly at Randi at clover.net.

Thanks!

Randi Pokladnik

Tappan Road