[MPWG] Deer Foraging Threatens Ginseng Survival

Cafesombra at aol.com Cafesombra at aol.com
Fri Feb 11 09:14:22 CST 2005

a MPWG message dated 2/11/05 writes:

McGraw  said there are three options: Do nothing and watch ginseng likely
disappear from the landscape; reintroduce deer predators such as
mountain lions and wolves; or change hunting regulations that would lead
to a reduction in deer populations.

This is the same old predictable old-school forestry lip service to caring
about the situation.  Bring in wolves to kill local toddlers and beloved  pets
or issue more hunting licenses.  This is thinking inside of a box  where the
real problem glares at us obvious-by-omission.  The fact of  the matter is,
forest fragmentation is the underlying and overwhelming problem  demanding our
collective concern here.  Yes we have killed or driven  off the predators but we
have also opened up (ripped and scarred) the landscape  to create ideal
herbivore conditions.  The hunters/sportsmen are  a strong and well organized
political force. I do not mean to take an  anti-hunting stance at all.  But here in
Pennsylvania when the deer  populations begin to drop at all, not even
getting close to levels that  would help, say, the ginseng, hunters begin to gnash
there teeth  and wave their campaign contributions in the air demanding
something be  done, if only for the sake of the tourism dollars hunting brings  into
our Commonwealth... We've seen too that lymes disease is more  prevelant in
fragmented places than in the contiguous forest, there is more  lymes disease in
a suburban neighborhood of Philadelphia than there is in  the deepent hemlock
groves of the Allegheny National Forest.  The  lymes-carrying tick
notoriously lives on the deer.  So we'd better issue  more hunting licenses (and relax
the safety zone regulations, let them shoot  into people's backyards and over
the off ramps of Turnpike 76), or  introduce wolves and cougars into the gated
communities of the Main  Line, or do nothing.
Why do we associate the word "reforestation" only with developing nations
and mine reclamation zones?  What about serious attention to planting  ginseng?
planting it in the gated communities if we have to in order to  help it
survive?  and what about planting trees?  There's a radical  idea.
Best regards everyone, Jennifer Chesworth
_www.herbalistswithoutborders.org_ (http://www.herbalistswithoutborders.org/)