[MPWG] Herbal Dispatch Newsletter, Feb 05 Issue

Patricia_DeAngelis at fws.gov Patricia_DeAngelis at fws.gov
Thu Feb 10 12:45:35 CST 2005

Lots of interesting Med Plant articles this month!

Of particular interest to me is the Mahady article (p. 5) discussing
dietary supplement usage amongst older women.  I'd be curious to know where
the various botanicals stand today.  Between 2002 and 2003, some major
revelations about risks associated with synthetic hormone replacement
therapy sent shockwaves through the menopausal community!

-Patricia

Patricia S. De Angelis, Ph.D.
Botanist - Division of Scientific Authority
Chair - Plant Conservation Alliance - Medicinal Plant Working Group
US Fish & Wildlife Service
4401 N. Fairfax Dr., Suite 750
Arlington, VA  22203
703-358-1708 x1753
FAX: 703-358-2276
Working for the conservation and sustainable use of our green natural
resources.
<www.nps.gov/plants/medicinal>

Contents:
Importance of an Academic Program in Herbal Sciences 1
Complementary and Alternative Medicine: What is its role? 2
Contributor’s Corner-- Herbal Medicine, Quite Popular 3
Ginseng Production: Cleaning, Drying and Selling 4
Plant Profile-Foxglove 4
Chemical and biological characterization and clinical evaluation of
botanical dietary supplements 5
Botanical dietary supplement use in peri- and postmenstrual women 5
Subscriptions Contributions Advertisements 6

Attached is the Feb 05 issue of The Herbal Dispatch, the newsletter of the
Medicinal Botanical Program at Mountain State University, Beckley, West
Virginia.

In this issue we discuss the importance of the academic program in herbal
sciences that will be started at Mountain State University in the fall of
2005.

This time, the Contributor’s Corner introduces you to Ms. Elma M. Reed, a
lawyer working at the General Counsel’s Office of Mountain State
University. Elma shares with us a cough syrup formula that not only is
effective but also tastes good, as confirmed by many of her friends; the
syrup is a mix of five medicinal herbs and honey. It also includes articles
on the role of complementary and alternative medicine; how to clean, dry
and sell ginseng root; and the botanical and medicinal characteristics of
foxglove. The Herbal Medicine Research section includes the articles:
“Chemical and biological characterization and clinical evaluation of
botanical dietary supplements” and “Botanical dietary supplement use in
peri- and postmenopausal women”.

Enjoy the newsletter.

Mario R. Morales
Director, Medicinal Botanical Program