[MPWG] Newsletter-Jan 05 Issue

Patricia_DeAngelis at fws.gov Patricia_DeAngelis at fws.gov
Thu Feb 10 12:21:40 CST 2005

I'm a MONTH late in posting the Jan. newsletter from Mountain State
University's Medicinal Botanical Program (Beckley, WV).  I wanted to get
some more information on collection regulations for ginseng (which is the
subject of an article herein).

See the table of contents, an and link the newsletter, and more information
on State and Federal harvest regulations, below!

-Patricia

Contents:
Attend MU, Enroll in Herbal Sciences! 1
Bachelor Degree in Herbal Sciences- Course Description 1
Contributor’s Corner-- The native plant midwife 3
Contributor’s Corner- Harvesting Ginseng 4
Plant Profile-Groundnut 4
Petasites hybridus root (butterbur) is an effective preventive treatment
for migraine 5
Remember-FX: A Smart Pill 5
Subscriptions, Contributions, Advertisements 6

Attached is the Jan 05 issue of The Herbal Dispatch, the newsletter of the
Medicinal Botanical Program.

In this issue we continue with the promotion of the new Bachelor degree in
Herbal Sciences MSU will be offering this coming fall. For better
assessment, we have included a description of the courses contemplated in
the academic program of the new degree.

The Contributor’s Corner this time introduces you to Mr. Peter Heus, owner
and manager of The Enchanter’s Garden, a nursery dedicated to the
production of native plants located in Hinton, WV. It also includes
descriptive articles on how to harvest ginseng root, and the botanical and
medicinal characteristics of groundnut. If you suffer from migraines and
you would like to learn about an alternative medicine, you may want to read
the article on butterbur, which describes an experiment evaluating the
efficacy of a standardized extraction from the root of this plant.

Enjoy the newsletter.

Mario R. Morales
Director, Medicinal Botanical Program
Mountain State University
Box 9003
Beckley, WV 25802-9003
(304) 929-1683 (voice)
(800) 766-6067 x1683 (voice)
(304) 929-1640 (fax)
 (See attached file: NL 01-05.pdf)

The following is a brief summary of the regulations pertaining to harvest
of wild American ginseng (Panax quinquefolius) on public lands.
Prepared by Pat Ford/Botanist/USFWS

Only wild American ginseng roots of 5 years of age or older (i.e., with
five or more bud-scale scars on the rhizome) can be harvested in the
following range States: Alabama, Arkansas, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana,
Iowa, Kentucky, Maryland, Minnesota, Missouri, New York, North Carolina,
Ohio, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, Vermont, Virginia, West Virginia, and
Wisconsin.  The following table provides harvest information for each
State.  Harvest on State lands is allowed by permit only.  Diggers are
advised to check  with the appropriate State office before digging ginseng
on State lands.

    |-------------+----------------+--------------+--------------|
    | State       |Harvest         |   Harvest    |Require seeds |
    |             |season          | permitted on |to be planted |
    |             |                | State lands  |at site       |
    |-------------+----------------+--------------+--------------|
    |             |                |              |              |
    | Alabama     | Sept 1 - Dec 13| yes with     |        yes   |
    |             |                |permit        |              |
    |             |                |              |              |
    |-------------+----------------+--------------+--------------|
    |             |                |              |              |
    |Arkansas     |Sept 1 - Dec 1  | no           |     yes      |
    |-------------+----------------+--------------+--------------|
    |             |                |              |              |
    |Georgia      |Aug 15 - Dec 31 | no           |     yes      |
    |-------------+----------------+--------------+--------------|
    |             |                |              |              |
    |Illinois     |Last Saturday in| no           |  encouraged  |
    |             |August- Nov 1   |              |              |
    |-------------+----------------+--------------+--------------|
    |             |                |              |              |
    |Indiana      |Sept 1 - Dec 31 | no           |     yes      |
    |-------------+----------------+--------------+--------------|
    |             |                |              |              |
    |Iowa         |Sept 1- Oct 31  | yes/no+      |     yes      |
    |-------------+----------------+--------------+--------------|
    |             |                |              |              |
    |Kentucky     |Aug 15 - Dec 1  | no           |        yes   |
    |-------------+----------------+--------------+--------------|
    |             |                |              |              |
    |Maryland     |Aug 20 - Dec 1  |  yes* with   |     yes      |
    |             |                |    permit    |              |
    |-------------+----------------+--------------+--------------|
    |             |                |              |              |
    |Minnesota    |Sept 1 - Dec 31 | yes* with    |     yes      |
    |             |                |permit        |              |
    |-------------+----------------+--------------+--------------|
    |             |                |              |              |
    |Missouri     |Sept 1 - Dec 31 |        no    |     yes      |
    |-------------+----------------+--------------+--------------|
    |             |                |              |              |
    |New York     |Sept 1 - Nov 30 |          no  |     yes      |
    |-------------+----------------+--------------+--------------|
    |             |                |              |              |
    |North        |Sept 1 – April 1|        no    |     yes      |
    |Carolina     |                |              |              |
    |-------------+----------------+--------------+--------------|
    |             |                |              |              |
    |Ohio         |Sept 1 – Dec 31 |  yes, with   |        yes   |
    |             |                |    permit    |              |
    |-------------+----------------+--------------+--------------|
    |             |                |              |              |
    |Pennsylvania |Sept 1 - Nov 30 |         no   |     yes      |
    |             |for 2004 season,|              |              |
    |             |and thereafter  |              |              |
    |-------------+----------------+--------------+--------------|
    |             |                |              |              |
    |Tennessee    |Aug 15 - Dec 31 |         no   |     yes      |
    |-------------+----------------+--------------+--------------|
    |             |                |              |              |
    |Vermont      |Aug 20 - Oct 10 |        no    |     yes      |
    |-------------+----------------+--------------+--------------|
    |             |                |              |              |
    |             |                |  yes, with   |              |
    |Virginia     |Aug 15 - Dec 31 |permit        |      no      |
    |-------------+----------------+--------------+--------------|
    | West        | Aug 15 - Nov 30|              |      yes     |
    | Virginia    | As of 2004     | no           |              |
    |-------------+----------------+--------------+--------------|
    |             |                |              |              |
    |             | Sept 1 – Nov 1 | no           |      yes     |
    | Wisconsin   |                |              |              |
    |-------------+----------------+--------------+--------------|

+No harvest is allowed in State Parks or Preserves.
*Harvest is allowed on some State lands, such as wildlife management areas.

Wild-collection of American ginseng is not permitted or is discouraged in
Connecticut, Delaware, Maine, Massachusetts, Michigan, and Rhode Island due
to declines in populations.

Due to concerns of over-harvest and the decline of American ginseng on
U.S.Forest Service (USFS) lands in the Eastern Region (R-9), no harvest is
permitted on the following National Forests (NF): Shawnee NF, Illinois;
Hoosier NF, Indiana; White Mountain NF, Maine and New Hampshire; Ottawa and
Huron Manistee NF, Michigan; Green Mountain NF, Vermont; and
Chequamegon/Nicolet NF, Wisconsin.  As of 2003, only two NFs within the
Eastern Region issued harvest permits for American ginseng roots:
Monongahela NF in West Virginia and Wayne NF in Ohio.

On USFS lands in the Southern Region (R-8), harvest is allowed on certain
National Forest's Districts with a valid permit.  In 2003 the following
National Forests (NF) allowed harvest: George Washington and Jefferson NF
in Virginia, West Virginia, and Kentucky; Chattahoochee NF in Georgia;
Daniel Boone NF in Kentucky; Cherokee NF in Tennessee; and Nantahala and
Pisgah NF in North Carolina.  Diggers are advised to check with the
appropriate NF in their State before digging ginseng on Forest Service
lands.

The National Park Service prohibits the harvest of American ginseng and
other native plants from national parks.