[MPWG] Researchers Blend Folk Treatment, High Tech for Promising Anti ...

Jean Giblette hfg at capital.net
Wed Feb 9 09:47:02 CST 2005

What's happening to the process of science here in this country?

This press release is unfortunately all too typical of announcements of
findings coming from our heretofore respected scientific institutions these
days.  The following part contains a serious distortion of truth, if not an
outright lie:

"The wormwood extract was used centuries
ago in China, but the treatment became lost over time. In the 1970s, it
was rediscovered as part of an ancient manuscript containing medical
remedies, including a recipe that used a wormwood extract. The medical
community soon discovered that the extract, artemisinin, worked well
against malaria, and it is currently used for that purpose throughout
Asia and Africa."

Sure, artemisinin is the hot new compound for a lot of drug (or gold)
prospectors.  What is objectionable (and anti-scientific because it
ignores previous research) is the need to manufacture a back-story so as to
present the findings as news, as if the "medical community" alone have
suddenly discovered value!  But of course that justifies their subsequent
cashing in.  The "folklore" spin is a standard ruse to conceal sources of
knowledge.

The truth is that qing-hao (Artemisia annua) has been known since before
recorded history as a Heat-clearing herb.  It was first mentioned in the
Shen Nong Ben Cao (Divine Farmer's Materia Medica) over two thousand years
ago.  (Which book has been translated into English, so there's no excuse.)
Qing-hao was and is widely recognized as an important component of formulas
for malaria, cancer and many other Heat-related disorders.  The inherited
scholarship is both voluminous and sophisticated, and should be respectfully
cited in any research presentation.

An aside to plant conservators.  Unfortunately, we now have
paradigmatically-challenged individuals running loose around the U.S.
proposing that farmers grow several hundred acres of Artemisia annua at a
pop, so that artemisinin can be extracted, made into a drug product and sold
to the Africans.  This is pure craziness on several levels, one of which is
that Artemisia annua, like other Artemisias, is potentially a noxious weed
in certain areas.  I also question the wisdom of exposing farm workers to
large quantities of material.

I wonder why none of these people want to interest a few Africans in growing
Artemisia annua in a diversified operation with other herbs useful for a
malaria formula, and working with local native healers to provide
efficacious, cost-effective
healthcare?

Jean Giblette, Director
HIGH FALLS GARDENS