[MPWG] Call for Invasive Species Recipes (Eat the Invaders)

pankaj oudhia pankajoudhia at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 3 00:39:22 CST 2005

Good News .

Although the species may differ but for my work on Herbal dishes specially those prepared from weedy species visit at

http://botanical.com/site/column_poudhia/publish/journal.cgi

or simply search Herbal dishes and oudhia at google.com.
Jil, in Chhattishgarh we prepare different types of Shurbuts using weed plant parts.

Traditional medicinal knowledge about different Shurbuts in Chhattisgarh, India. : My experiences and observations.
http://botanical.com/site/column_poudhia/publish/journal.cgi?folder=journal&next=269

You can get the list of hundreds of shurbut from this site.
We can serve selected dishes and shurbut during MPWG meeting ,(although I will miss it ).

regards

Pankaj Oudhia

Jil_Swearingen at nps.gov
Sent by: To: apwg at lists.plantconservation.org,
APWG-bounces at lists.plantconse ma-eppc at yahoogroups.com, "Barry Meyers-Rice"
rvation.org , "Kearns, Kelly"
, "Holko, Carol"

02/01/2005 12:21 PM cc: "Parness, Lesley"
, updf at earthlink.net,
"Northup, Jean"
Subject: [APWG] Call for Invasive Species Recipes
(Eat the Invaders)

Hi,

I'm collecting recipes that utilize invasive animal and plant species. The
primary focus is on species NOT native to the USA. However, certain native
species (e.g., white-tailed deer) that get out of hand are also "fair
game".

Recipes will be posted to the Weeds Gone Wild web page. Credit will be
given to all chefs.

*Please submit only recipes that 1) you or someone you know and trust has
tried and found sufficiently tasty, 2) use ingredients that are widely
available whenever possible, and 3) are reasonably simple to prepare.
Recipes can feature one species of invader or combine several species
(better yet!). Toxic plants should be avoided unless there are well known
and reliable ways to ensure removal of potentially harmful compounds
through cooking, age of plant harvested, etc.

So, put on your chef's hat and start creating some tasty ways to get these
nasty invaders out of our environment and into our diet. Many invaders will
be reappearing in our forests and landscapes soon and we need to be ready!

Please use the following format when submitting your recipe:

Recipe title: (Please keep it short and simple but feel free to make it
catchy!)
Submitted by: (Please include your full name and an email address or phone
where you can be contacted if I have questions)
List of Ingredients: (Please include the common and scientific names for
the invasive species. Don't forget seasonings.)
Instructions: (Don't forget to include size of pan or baking dish required,
cooking temperature, and any pertinent information such as stage of plant
that should be harvested or avoided and any prewashing or other
preparations needed.)
Anecdotes: Feel free to provide suggestions for complementary food or
beverage pairings, and other interesting notes about the recipe, etc.

Send recipes to: Jil_Swearingen at nps.gov

Thank you and Bon apetit!

Jil

*******************************
JIL M SWEARINGEN
Invasive Species and
Pest Management Coordinator

NATIONAL PARK SERVICE
National Capital Region
Center for Urban Ecology
4598 MacArthur Blvd., NW
Washington DC 20007
Phone/ 202-342-1443, ex. 218
Fax/ 202-282-1031
Jil_Swearingen at nps.gov

WEEDS GONE WILD Web Page
http://www.nps.gov/plants/alien

Disclaimer
Any advice given on this list regarding diagnosis or treatments etc. reflects ONLY the opinion of the individual who posts the message. The information contained in posts is not intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice relative to your specific medical condition or question. All medical and other healthcare information that is discussed on this list should be carefully reviewed by the individual reader and their qualified healthcare professional. Posts do not reflect any official opinions or positions of the Plant Conservation Alliance.