[MPWG] eat the weeds

pankaj oudhia pankajoudhia at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 3 00:19:14 CST 2005

Bob thanks for initiating discussion on my favorite aspect.

Instead of using word weed we can use the wild plants. Because when we use weed the researchers afraid of invasives come forward.

In my region the utilization of weeds is not resulting in spread of these species.The natives are using it as curry, the healers are using at as medicine and the farmers are earning additional income by uprooting and selling it to local traders.This concept is known as Management through Utilization. I have written over 400 research articles on medicinal weeds .Also much on herbal dishes prepared from weedy species.Please read this article
Traditional medicinal knowledge about common weeds used as potherbs (Bhaji) in Chhattisgarh, India
http://www.botanical.com/site/column_poudhia/11_potherbs.html

You can get more articles from
http://www.iprng.org/IPRNG_MTAW.html
or simply search medicinal weed or medicinal weeds at google.com ,you will get the articles in third number.

regards
Pankaj Oudhia
http://www.pankajoudhia.com

Bob Beyfuss <rlb14 at cornell.edu> wrote:
I think eating weeds is a good idea, many of them are far more nutritious
than their cultivated counterparts, i.e. dandelion. I will send her lots of
recipes from an Extension bulletin I wrote in 1977. I am not so sure
publishing recipes for invasive plants is a good idea. The reason we have
some of these plants today is because they were purposely introduced as
food crops for us or cattle, i.e., Kudzu. As recently as last year I saw
garlic mustard seed for sale in a catalogue as an edible green.
Bob

Disclaimer
Any advice given on this list regarding diagnosis or treatments etc. reflects ONLY the opinion of the individual who posts the message. The information contained in posts is not intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice relative to your specific medical condition or question. All medical and other healthcare information that is discussed on this list should be carefully reviewed by the individual reader and their qualified healthcare professional. Posts do not reflect any official opinions or positions of the Plant Conservation Alliance.