[MPWG] Spearmint and migraine

Marjorie Nieh mintresearch at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 20 09:15:14 CDT 2005

Hello all,

Many thanks to several of members who gave me good suggestions on chemicals in Mentha spicata. Thanks!!

My poster presentation, whose abstract is pasted below, to the recent Natural Products Gordon Research Conference was well received. I was encouraged to generate experimental data. As I am currently not affiliated with any institution that has laboratory facilities, I am actively looking for collaborators. I wonder if some of you or your colleagues would have an interest in my suggested experiments that are also pasted below. For those who wish to conduct the research, proper credit will certainly be given.

Marjorie Nieh

A Personal Anecdote with Spearmint (Mentha spicata) as Migraine Prophylaxis   M.T. Nieh, Ph.D., Independent Scholar, Rensselaer, NY (mintresearch at yahoo.com)

The author’s serendipitous discovery revealed that the brewed tea of a spearmint species (Mentha spicata, Lamiaceae) has successfully treated her migraine headache attacks. This is a very easily prepared and inexpensive remedy with no adverse side effect.  This remedy exceeds the efficacy of large doses of riboflavin (vitaminB2), that has been reported as prophylaxis for migraines, and that the author used it for over two years before spearmint.

The major component in the spearmint is l-carvone or R-(-)-carvone (~70%) in addition to nearly sixty minor components, many of which are terpenoids.

The known natural antimigraine remedies, e.g. feverfew (Tanacetum partheniuim) and butterbur rhizomes (Petasites hybridus, Asteraceae) contain sesquiterpene lactones and sesquiterpene esters, respectively.  Studies showed that they inhibit: blood platelet aggregation, release of serotonin in addition altering the arachidonic acid pathway which decreases the synthesis of the inflammatory chemical mediators, prostaglandins and leukotrienes.

A most recent research study revealed that terpenoids of the non-psychoactive cannabis, cannabidiol (CBD) and terpineol, modify the serotonin-binding activity at the 5HT1a and 5HT2a receptor sites.  The potential of CBD suggests an acutely active anti-migraine drug while that of terpineol, putatively prophylactic.

The author proposes a possible correlation between the pharmacological activities of sesquiterpenoids as found in feverfew, butterbur, monoterpenoids as found in cannabis and of monoterpenoids as found in spearmint.  She speculates that those terpenoids that are potential migraine remedies might be stereospecific (levorotatory), which could be lead targets for the development of anitmigraine drugs.  She further promotes studies of spearmint tea as a safe and very low-cost natural antimigraine remedy.

Suggested Experiments on Spearmint as Migraine Prophylaxis, Marjorie T. Nieh

   Evaluate l-carvone on 5HT1a receptor binding properties and signal transduction assays.
   Identify active ingredient (s) of spearmint: evaluation of l-carvone, l-limonene, etc. (other essential oils of spearmint) on 5HT1a receptor binding properties and signal transduction assays.  Very likely it is an herbal synergism that is effective.
   Determine the time for tea brewing that corresponds to optimal concentrations of major chemicals (GC-MS).
   Clinical studies using spearmint (Mentha spicata) tea: A manufacturer in CA offers free samples of organic spearmint tea bags for clinical studies. Since a placebo for spearmint tea may be difficult to find, a comparative study could be feasible. It is unlikely that the spearmint will be administered as a capsule of dry leaves as feverfew or butterbur is administered.
   Stereospecificity of natural antimigraine remedies: evaluation of l-carvone vs. d-carvone, (-)-a-terpineol vs. (+)-a-terpineol on 5HT1a receptor binding properties.
   Pharmacokinetics: study the bioavailability of spearmint oils and identify metabolites.
   Mechanism(s) of action of spearmint: study the effect of l-carvone, etc. on NF-êB activity, evaluation of l-carvone, etc. on 5HT1a receptor binding properties.  Metabolites of the essential oils may play the role.