[MPWG] MSU Medicinal Newsletter 11-04

Patricia_DeAngelis at fws.gov Patricia_DeAngelis at fws.gov
Wed Nov 24 14:31:46 CST 2004

Attached, please find the Herbal Dispatch produced by Mountain State
University's (WV) Medicinal Botanical Program.

It includes information from the Third Symposium on Medicinal and Aromatic
Plants, which included a Researcher-Producer Forum that was promulgated by
a roundtable discussion sponsored by Rural Action and MPWG in May 2004.

At that roundtable to discuss major barriers to research and communication
for Appalachian- and Ozark-based medicinal plants, we determined that there
was a dirth of opportunities for researchers (both academic and
non-academic) and producers (i.e. landowners, growers) to discuss and
exchange information on medicinal plant production.

MSU responded by organizing the Researcher-Producer forum as part of their
Symposium in September 2004.  Special thanks to Joyce Foster (USDA-ARS),
Shannon Howard (MSU), and Jeanine Davis (NCSU) for creating a seemless and
informative Forum.

In addition to the great array of speakers at the Symposium, I was THRILLED
to meet several MPWG members, whom I had previously known only
electronically.  It was very exciting.  Read on...

-Patricia

Patricia S. De Angelis, Ph.D.
Botanist - Division of Scientific Authority
Chair - Plant Conservation Alliance - Medicinal Plant Working Group
US Fish & Wildlife Service
4401 N. Fairfax Dr., Suite 750
Arlington, VA  22203
703-358-1708 x1753
FAX: 703-358-2276
Working for the conservation and sustainable use of our green natural
resources.
<www.nps.gov/plants/medicinal>

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Contents:
Third Symposium: A Complete Success! 1
Symposium Remarks 1
MBP's New Director 2
Plant Profile: Wild Yam 2
Contributor's Corner: Ginseng from Seed 3
CAMP Rescue Update 4
Job Opportunity 4
Herbal Medicine Rsch 5
Advertisements 6