[MPWG] Funding issues.....

Patricia_DeAngelis at fws.gov Patricia_DeAngelis at fws.gov
Thu May 20 11:50:21 CDT 2004

Many members have asked me questions about funding - specifically, what's
programs are out there that fund research to investigate the sustainable
use and conservation of medicinal plants?

Well, to help answer that question, Beth DeCarolis (the Chair of our
Finance Committee) is collecting information that will be turned into a
webpage on the subject.  Meanwhile, I came across this nugget of
information that I thought I'd send it out to everyone (and also to Beth to
add to her work, if she hasn't already gotten this information!).

A  project is underway to investigate the agricultural potential of osha
(See the latest issue of Herbalgram, Volume 62 for more details on that
particular project).  The research is being funded through a USDA-Rural and
Community Development grant under a program called the Small Business
Innovative Research program.  For more information on the USDA-SBIR grant
program, see http://www.csrees.usda.gov/funding/sbir/sbir_highlights.html.

So, I encourage you all to look into this if you think you're activities
might qualify.

Until next time,
Patricia

Patricia S. De Angelis, Ph.D.
Botanist - Division of Scientific Authority
Chair - Plant Conservation Alliance - Medicinal Plant Working Group
US Fish & Wildlife Service
4401 N. Fairfax Dr., Suite 750
Arlington, VA  22203
703-358-1708 x1753
FAX: 703-358-2276
Working for the conservation and sustainable use of our green natural
resources.
<www.nps.gov/plants/medicinal>