[MPWG] 4th Session of the United Nations Forum on Forests - Summary

Patricia_DeAngelis at fws.gov Patricia_DeAngelis at fws.gov
Tue May 18 09:15:10 CDT 2004

This summary on the 4th session on the United Nations Forum on Forests
(UNFF) gives an interesting perspective on what other groups around the
world are trying to do.   The following excerpt is particularly compelling:

"...delegates to UNFF-4 convened a Multi-stakeholder Dialogue, during which
the Major Groups
participating in the UNFF process gathered with country delegations
and international organizations to discuss the social and cultural
aspects of forests and traditional forest-related knowledge. "

Sounds familiar, doesn't it - multi-stakeholder approach and traditional
knowledge focus.

Patricia S. De Angelis, Ph.D.
Botanist - Division of Scientific Authority
Chair - Plant Conservation Alliance - Medicinal Plant Working Group
US Fish & Wildlife Service
4401 N. Fairfax Dr., Suite 750
Arlington, VA  22203
703-358-1708 x1753
FAX: 703-358-2276
Working for the conservation and sustainable use of our green natural
resources.
<www.nps.gov/plants/medicinal>

----- Forwarded by Patricia De Angelis/ARL/R9/FWS/DOI on 05/18/2004 09:51
AM -----
|         |           "Sustainable     |
|         |           Africa           |
|         |           Newsletter"      |
|         |           <info at conserveafr|
|         |           ica.org.uk>      |
|         |           05/18/2004 06:32 |
  |                                                                                                              |
  |        To:      patricia_deangelis at fws.gov                                                                   |
  |        cc:                                                                                                   |
  |        Subject: 4th Session of the United Nations Forum on Forests  -  Summary and                           |

Welcome to the Sustainable Africa email Newsletter (2500 subscribers).

One of the main aims of this free Newsletter is bridge the information gap
between Africa and developed countries by creating, strengthening and
providing a forum for the exchange of information about experiences,
activities, events and good practice that contribute to the promotion of
sustainable development in Africa.

The newsletter is being sent out to a wide range of organisations,
networks, institutions and individuals based in Africa or elsewhere and
interested in or working in the field. It currently reaches about 2500
subscribers worldwide.

We are trying to reach, as many people as we can, so feel free to pass this
newsletter on to others.

4th Session of the United Nations Forum on Forests  -  Summary and
analysis

EARTH NEGOTIATIONS BULLETIN <enb at iisd.org>
PUBLISHED BY THE INTERNATIONAL INSTITUTE FOR
SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT (IISD) <http://www.iisd.org>

Written and edited by:

Andrew Baldwin <andrew at iisd.org>
Radoslav Dimitrov, Ph.D. <rado at iisd.org>
María Gutiérrez <maria at iisd.org>
Tamilla Gaynutdinova <tamilla at iisd.org>
Nicole Schabus <nicole at iisd.org>

Editor:

Pamela S. Chasek, Ph.D. <pam at iisd.org>

Director, IISD Reporting Services:

Langston James "Kimo" Goree VI <kimo at iisd.org>

Vol. 13 No. 116
Monday, 17 May 2004

Online at: http://www.iisd.ca/forestry/unff/unff4/

SUMMARY OF THE FOURTH SESSION OF THE UNITED NATIONS FORUM ON
FORESTS:

3-14 MAY 2004

The fourth session of the United Nations Forum on Forests (UNFF-4)
was held in Geneva, Switzerland, from 3-14 May 2004. Over 600
delegates representing governments, intergovernmental
organizations and major groups were in attendance. Throughout the
two-week meeting, delegates considered progress in implementation
with respect to the following thematic areas: social and cultural
aspects of forests; traditional forest-related knowledge;
forest-related scientific knowledge; finance and transfer of
environmentally sound technologies; and monitoring, assessment and
reporting and criteria and indicators. The Forum also considered
issues common to each UNFF session, including: enhanced
cooperation and coordination with other international
organizations; and intersessional work.

As with other UNFF sessions, delegates to UNFF-4 convened a
Multi-stakeholder Dialogue, during which the Major Groups
participating in the UNFF process gathered with country delegations
and international organizations to discuss the social and cultural
aspects of forests and traditional forest-related knowledge.
Unique to UNFF-4, delegates also spent two half-day sessions
considering country experiences and lessons learned. One session
was focused on African countries, and the other on small island
developing states. Particular emphasis was given to negotiating a
resolution on the process for facilitating the review of the
effectiveness of the international arrangement on forests at UNFF-5.

UNFF-4 adopted five resolutions on: social and cultural aspects of
forests; forest-related scientific knowledge; monitoring,
assessment and reporting and criteria and indicators; finance and
transfer of environmentally sound technologies; and the review of
the effectiveness of the international arrangement on forests.
Delegates failed to adopt resolutions on traditional
forest-related knowledge and enhanced cooperation.

A BRIEF HISTORY OF UNFF

The United Nations Forum on Forests was established by the UN
Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC) in October 2000. Resolution
E/2000/35 established UNFF as a subsidiary body to ECOSOC with the
main objective to promote the management, conservation and
sustainable development of all types of forests. The UNFF
succeeded a five-year period (1995-2000) of forest policy dialogue
facilitated by the Intergovernmental Panel on Forests (IPF) and
the Intergovernmental Forum on Forests (IFF). To achieve its main
objective, principal functions were identified for UNFF, namely to:

             facilitate implementation of forest-related agreements and
foster a common understanding on sustainable forest management
(SFM);

             provide for continued policy development and dialogue among
governments, international organizations, and major groups, as
identified in Agenda 21, as well as to address forest issues and
emerging areas of concern in a holistic, comprehensive and
integrated manner;

             enhance cooperation, as well as policy and programme
coordination on forest-related issues;

             foster international cooperation and monitor, assess and
report on progress; and

             strengthen political commitment to the management,
conservation and sustainable development of all types of forests.

The IPF/IFF processes produced more than 270 proposals for action
towards SFM, known collectively as the IPF/IFF proposals for
action. These proposals are the basis for the UNFF Multi-Year
Programme of Work (MYPOW) and Plan of Action, various themes of
which are discussed at annual UNFF sessions. Country- and
organization-led initiatives also contribute to the development of
UNFF themes. In 2005, UNFF is mandated to "consider, with a view
to recommending the parameters of a mandate for developing a legal
framework on all types of forests." It will also take steps to
devise approaches towards appropriate financing and technology
transfer to support the implementation of SFM.

UNFF ORGANIZATIONAL SESSION: The UNFF organizational session and
informal consultations on the MYPOW took place from 12-16 February
2001, at UN headquarters in New York. Delegates agreed that the
UNFF Secretariat would be located in New York, and addressed
progress towards the establishment of the Collaborative
Partnership on Forests (CPF), a partnership of 14 major
forest-related international organizations, institutions and
convention secretariats, and the duration of Bureau members' terms.

UNFF-1: The first session of UNFF (UNFF-1) took place from 11-23
June 2001, at UN headquarters in New York. Delegates discussed and
adopted decisions on UNFF's MYPOW, a Plan of Action for the
implementation of the IPF/IFF proposals for action, and UNFF's
work with the CPF. They also recommended the establishment of
three ad hoc expert groups to provide technical advice to UNFF on:
approaches and mechanisms for monitoring, assessment and reporting
(AHEG MAR); finance and transfer of environmentally sound
technologies (AHEG FINTEST); and consideration with a view to
recommending the parameters of a mandate for developing a legal
framework on all types of forests (AHEG PARAM).

UNFF-2: UNFF-2 took place from 4-15 March 2002, at UN headquarters
in New York. Delegates adopted a Ministerial Declaration and
Message to the World Summit on Sustainable Development and eight
decisions on: combating deforestation and forest degradation;
forest conservation and protection of unique types of forests and
fragile ecosystems; rehabilitation and conservation strategies for
countries with low forest cover; rehabilitation and restoration of
degraded lands and the promotion of natural and planted forests;
concepts, terminology and definitions; and specific criteria for
the review of the effectiveness of the international arrangement
on forests.

UNFF-3: UNFF-3 met in Geneva, Switzerland, from 26 May - 6 June
2003. UNFF-3 adopted six resolutions on: enhanced cooperation and
policy and programme coordination; forest health and productivity;
economic aspects of forests; maintaining forest cover to meet
present and future needs; the UNFF Trust Fund; and strengthening
the Secretariat. UNFF-3 also finalized the terms of reference for
the three ad hoc expert groups, a task that had been carried
forward from UNFF-2. It also adopted a decision on the voluntary
reporting format.

UNFF-4 REPORT

On Monday, 3 May 2004, José Antonio Ocampo, UN Under-Secretary
General for Economic and Social Affairs, opened the fourth session
of UN Forum on Forests. Noting that UNFF is the only subsidiary
body of ECOSOC with universal membership, Ocampo emphasized the
importance of the Multi-stakeholder Dialogue (MSD), the thematic
areas of UNFF-4, and national reporting on the implementation of
the IPF/IFF proposals for action.

Delegates then elected Yuriy Isakov (Russian Federation) as Chair
and George Talbot (Guyana) as Vice-Chair for the Latin American
and Caribbean Group; and welcomed the remaining Bureau Members:
Vice-Chair Stephanie Caswell (United States), Vice-Chair Ngurah
Swajaya (Indonesia); and Vice-Chair-cum Rapporteur Xolisa Mabhongo
(South Africa). With the exception of Vice-Chair Talbot, all
officers were elected to the Bureau at the first meeting of UNFF-4
in June 2003.

Chair Isakov stressed the importance of focusing on substantive
issues and taking stock of progress in implementation of the
IPF/IFF proposals for action in advance of UNFF-5. Phillippe Roch,
Swiss Agency for the Environment, Forests and Landscape, commended
the report streamlining and policy convergence through national
forest programmes (NFPs). Hosny El-Lakany, Collaborative
Partnership on Forests (CPF), reported on CPF activities and its
planned contribution to the review of the effectiveness of
international arrangement on forests (REIAF) at UNFF-5 and to the
ad hoc expert group on consideration with a view to recommending
the parameters of a mandate for developing a legal framework on
all types of forests (AHEG PARAM).

ORGANIZATIONAL MATTERS: Delegates adopted the provisional agenda
of UNFF-4 (E/CN.18/2004/1), approved the proposed organization of
work, established two working groups, and accepted the
participation of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations
(ASEAN). Vice-Chair Mabhongo chaired Working Group I's discussions
on traditional forest-related knowledge, social and cultural
aspects of forests, and forest-related scientific knowledge.
Vice-Chair Talbot chaired Working Group I's discussions on the
Multi-stakeholder Dialogue on Partnerships and finance and transfer
of environmentally sound technologies. Vice-Chair Caswell chaired
Working Group II's consideration of monitoring, assessment and
reporting and criteria and indicators, and the Multi-stakeholder
Dialogue on Capacity Building. Vice-Chair Swajaya chaired Working
Group II's review of the effectiveness of the international
arrangement on forests and enhanced cooperation.

STATUS OF THE SECRETARIAT: Pekka Patosaari, Coordinator and Head
of the UNFF Secretariat, reported on the activities and status of
the UNFF Secretariat during the programme budget biennium
2002-2003 (E/CN.18/2004/3). He thanked donors for supporting the
Trust Fund and called for donor support to ensure the wide
participation of developing countries at UNFF-5.

COUNTRY STATEMENTS: During their opening statements, several
delegates stressed the importance of traditional and scientific
forest-related knowledge and the social and cultural aspects of
forests (SCAF). Qatar, on behalf of the G-77/China, said that the
lack of funds stalls the implementation of the IPF/IFF proposals
for action and called for, inter alia: international support for
poverty eradication; an international framework for the protection
of traditional knowledge (TK), especially through sui generis
systems to protect biodiversity; the negotiation of an
international regime on access and benefit-sharing under the
Convention on Biological Diversity (CBD); and continued voluntary
work on criteria and indicators (C&I) for sustainable forest
management (SFM). Ireland, on behalf of the European Union (EU),
expressed confidence that consensus recommendations would emerge
from the AHEG PARAM and stressed the importance of reaching a
decision on the REIAF process.

Several delegates reviewed their countries' progress in national
implementation and called for: international cooperation in
overcoming obstacles to SFM; focus on the means of implementation,
with Indonesia recommending that the CPF mobilize additional
financial resources and transfer of environmentally sound
technologies (EST); and synergies among forest-related
conventions. Delegates also highlighted the importance of:
addressing the problem of illicit trafficking of timber; regional
partnerships as a low-cost and effective approach to
implementation; decentralization; monitoring, assessment and
reporting (MAR); and the extension of patent laws to cover TK.
Australia suggested changing the structure of UNFF sessions to
focus on implementation. A more detailed account of this
discussion is available online at
http://www.iisd.ca/vol13/enb13107e.html

PANEL DISCUSSION ON FORESTS AND THEIR ROLE IN ACHIEVING BROADER
DEVELOPMENT GOALS

Under-Secretary General José Antonio Ocampo stressed the role of
forests in providing sustainable livelihoods and achieving broader
development goals, stressing the need for: coherent forest policy;
efficient land tenure systems and access for local and indigenous
communities; and effective governance, compliance and enforcement.

Ole Henrik Magga, UN Permanent Forum on Indigenous Issues, called
for allowing full participation of indigenous peoples in
decision-making. Tony Simons, World Agroforestry Centre, described
the contribution of agroforestry systems to the Millennium
Development Goals (MDGs), including those on poverty alleviation,
health and education.

Fredy Arnoldo Molina Sanchinel, Coordinating Indigenous and
Peasant Farmers Association on Community Agroforestry in Central
America, described the benefits of community-based concessions in
Central America, highlighting that the involvement of local and
indigenous communities in forest management is key to forest
protection and poverty alleviation. Inviolata Chinyangara,
International Federation of Building and Wood Workers, discussed
the connection between globalization, structural adjustment
programmes and job loss, and called on the International Labor
Organization to adopt a convention protecting the interests of
forest workers.

In the ensuing discussion, several delegates described their
national efforts on SFM and human development. Costa Rica
announced an expert meeting on traditional forest-related
knowledge in December 2004. Brazil suggested adopting a resolution
on strengthening the role of forestry in achieving the MDGs. The
Forest Peoples Programme recommended that this resolution call for
the devolution of control over forest resources to local and
indigenous peoples. Germany called for connecting MDGs and NFPs,
and for maximizing potential benefits of agroforestry through
better land-use planning. Participants also highlighted the
importance of: linking forestry issues to poverty reduction
strategies and macro-economic planning; indigenous and community
involvement in forest management; the valuation of ecosystem
services provided by forests; and the increase in official
development assistance (ODA). A more detailed account of this
discussion is available online at:
http://www.iisd.ca/vol13/enb13107e.html

FOREST TRENDS BASED ON NATIONAL REPORTS

On Tuesday, 4 May, delegates heard a presentation by the UNFF
Secretariat on the results of national reports submitted by 16
developed countries, 11 developing countries and 7 countries with
economies in transition (CEITs). The Secretariat noted that the
low level of reporting by Member States prevents the provision of
a complete account of the forest situation, and highlights the
fact that most countries have no mechanism for assessing the
implementation of the IPF/IFF proposals for action.

In the ensuing discussion, several countries said that UNFF
country reports should not duplicate the reporting requirements of
other forest-related conventions or international bodies. The US
stressed the voluntary nature of UNFF reporting, and said that
countries should be free to report selectively on the IPF/IFF
proposals for action relevant to their domestic forest situations.
Several developing countries said they lacked adequate capacity to
submit reports, and called for capacity building to facilitate
national-level reporting. A more detailed account of this
discussion is available online at:
http://www.iisd.ca/vol13/enb13108e.html

COUNTRY EXPERIENCES AND LESSONS LEARNED

AFRICA DAY: The morning of Wednesday, 5 May, was dedicated to
hearing the experiences and lessons learned in African countries.
The aim of this special session was to: highlight the role of
forests in rural development and poverty alleviation in Africa;
strengthen SFM partnerships; and promote stronger African
participation in the UNFF process. Chair Isakov explained that the
outcomes of Africa Day would contribute to the high-level segment
of ECOSOC's 2004 session.

Grégoire Nkeoua, Director of Forests at the Ministry of Forestry
and Environment of the Republic of Congo, highlighted the
importance of regional cooperation mechanisms, such as the Congo
Basin Partnership, in cross-sectoral policy harmonization,
coordination of common actions, and strengthening of capacity.

El-Hadji Sène, Director of Forests Resources at the UN Food and
Agriculture Organization (FAO), presented the recommendations of
FAO's "Forestry Study Outlook for Africa" related to the IPF/IFF
proposals for action, including: improving knowledge and local
level participation; promoting forest product trade; increasing
land reclamation; utilizing indigenous knowledge; simplifying
procedures for Global Environment Facility (GEF) funding; and
supporting small- and medium-size enterprises.

Ruth Mubiru, Director of the Uganda Women Tree Planting Movement,
emphasized the contributions of forests and tree planting to
African women's livelihoods. Noting that women lack decision-
making power and land tenure, she called for their involvement in
national planning and for organizing a UNFF-sponsored meeting on
women and tree planting.

Tobais Takavarasha, Agricultural Adviser to the New Partnership
for Africa's Development (NEPAD), reported on NEPAD's
Comprehensive Africa Agriculture Programme Action Plan. He
stressed the need for reprioritizing agriculture, linking the MDG
on hunger and poverty reduction to the IPF/IFF proposals for
action, and creating enabling environments for the private sector
and smallholder farmers.

Frank Kufakwandi, Principal Forestry Officer of the African
Development Bank, discussed how economic problems hinder SFM in
Africa, and called for integrating SFM and poverty reduction
strategies, and addressing land tenure, environmental governance
and the empowerment of women.

Samuel Nguiffo, Director of the Center for Environment and
Development in Cameroon, presented on illegal forestry activities
in Cameroon. As partial solutions to illegal logging, he suggested
thinking about the problem on a regional and ecosystem scale;
deploying independent regionally-based observers; and applying
persuasive sanctions.

Yemi Katerere, Center for International Forestry Research (CIFOR),
called for, inter alia, devolving benefits to those managing the
forests, simplifying and enforcing regulations, integrating
forestry into other sectors, and targeting capacity building.

In the ensuing discussion, delegates highlighted:

             the links between forests, poverty reduction, and the MDGs;

             the need for capacity building and market access;

             the importance of regional initiatives;

             decentralization and broadly participatory processes;

             the involvement of women;

             land reforms; and

             the assessment of the contribution of forests to the national
economy.

A more detailed account of this discussion is available online at:
http://www.iisd.ca/vol13/enb13109e.html

SMALL ISLAND DEVELOPING STATES DAY: This event, moderated by
Joanne DiSano, UN Department for Economic and Social Affairs
(DESA), was convened on Tuesday morning, 11 May, to contribute to
the preparations of the International Meeting to Review the
Implementation of the Barbados Programme of Action for the
Sustainable Development of Small Island Developing States (SIDS).

Mette Loyche Wilkie, FAO, explained that despite large variations
between islands, they share common challenges, constraints and
opportunities in SFM, and underscored the local and global
importance of SIDS' forests to food security, watershed
protection, biodiversity conservation, national income, medicine
and eco-tourism. Graham Watkins, Iwokrama Project, presented a
partnership in Guyana involving NGOs, indigenous peoples and
business groups, as an example of SFM's contribution to
sustainable human development.

Rafael Franscisco de Moya Pons, Minister of Environment and
Natural Resources, Dominican Republic, shared his country's
experiences in forest restoration and developing a sustainable
forest industry.

Rolph Payet, Department of Environment, Seychelles, discussed the
importance of SFM in achieving sustainable human development,
citing his country's experiences in developing eco-tourism.

Eugene Hendrick, Ministry of Agriculture, Ireland, discussed the
importance of SFM in mitigating the effects of climate change on
islands both in developed and developing regions.

Simione Rokolaqa, Fiji, highlighted the economic, cultural and
spiritual significance of forests in the South Pacific and
emphasized the value of TFRK.

In the ensuing discussion, delegates shared their experiences with
promoting SFM in SIDS. New Zealand stressed the importance of
regional initiatives, such as the Pacific Island Forum. The
G-77/China highlighted the land and resource limitations faced by
SIDS, and stressed that international support can make a critical
difference in scaling up programmes undertaken at the national
level. Noting the absence of delegates from most SIDS at UNFF-4,
Grenada and Australia called for enhancing SIDS participation.
Mauritius suggested that the UNFF Secretariat help create a SIDS
forestry communication network. Delegates also recommended:
developing partnerships with and among SIDS; mobilizing
international support to SIDS initiatives on SFM; improving
research on SIDS' forests; and further promoting cooperation in
SFM to identify key regional priorities and initiatives for SFM. A
more detailed account of this discussion is available online at:
http://www.iisd.ca/vol13/enb13113e.html

MULTI-STAKEHOLDER DIALOGUE

The annual MSD took place in the afternoon plenary session on
Thursday, 6 May, and in two working groups on Friday morning,
7 May. The Dialogue focused on four theme areas: social and
cultural aspects of forests (SCAF); traditional forest-related
knowledge (TFRK); capacity building; and partnerships. For each
theme session, eight of the nine major groups (non-governmental
organizations, indigenous peoples, women, youth, trade unions,
farmers, the scientific and technological community, and business
and industry) made a brief three-minute introductory statement.
Following the introductory statements, participants engaged in an
open dialogue.

Participants made various recommendations, including:

             developing a common understanding of concepts and
definitions;

             promoting valuation of forest environmental services;

             building information collection and dissemination capacity;

             extending family ownership of forests;

             building private managers' self-reliance;

             the need for more investment in national research;

             increasing participation of indigenous peoples;

             promoting gender equity;

             linking SFM to poverty reduction strategies; and

             supporting regional initiatives.

SOCIAL AND CULTURAL ASPECTS OF FORESTS: The focus of the
discussion revolved primarily around land tenure and TK. Women
said that the recognition of women's TK should be incorporated
into forest-related planning. Some participants were of the view
that, when determining land ownership and awarding concessions,
governments should take into account traditional land tenure
schemes. Others said that the recognition of land rights is a
prerequisite for the protection of TK. Delegates also stressed the
need: for capacity building and donor support to improve
stakeholder participation in developing countries; to halt the
disappearance of forest-dependent peoples due to forest
degradation; to address the economic needs of forest dwellers and
the removal agricultural market barriers; and to ensure that
timber concessions on indigenous peoples' territories are awarded
with the prior informed consent of indigenous people.

TRADITIONAL FOREST-RELATED KNOWLEDGE: The discussion focused on,
inter alia: the prior informed consent of indigenous peoples and
access to TFRK inventories; the importance of indigenous peoples'
ownership of research resulting from their knowledge; the role of
indigenous women and youth in protecting their TK and territories;
and the obligation that indigenous peoples have to their
communities to ensure that relevant TK is appropriately
communicated and disseminated.

PARTNERSHIPS: During the discussion delegates considered the
examples of effective partnerships, notably the Congo Basin
Partnership and the Asia Forest Partnership. Sharing their
experience regarding partnerships, participatory policy-making and
decentralization, many delegates highlighted, inter alia, the
importance of government facilitation, equity, trust, transparency
and empowerment.

CAPACITY BUILDING: During the discussion, strong emphasis was
placed on the importance of education and training and on the need
to ensure that capacity building and research address the needs of
local communities.

A more detailed account of the MSD theme sessions is available
online at: http://www.iisd.ca/vol13/enb13110e.html and
http://www.iisd.ca/vol13/enb13111e.html.

FOREST-RELATED SCIENTIFIC KNOWLEDGE

On Thursday, 6 May, Risto Seppälä, International Union of Forest
Research Organizations (IUFRO), presented the report on
forest-related scientific knowledge (FRSK) (E/CN.18/2004/9). In the
ensuing discussion, delegates agreed that a proposal for
establishing a standing scientific body to UNFF, contained in the
report, is premature. The EU recommended, inter alia, applying the
precautionary principle, and, with Benin, integrating scientific
and traditional knowledge. Brazil opposed a suggestion to develop
the global research agenda. The Russian Federation requested that
the needs of countries with economies in transition (CEITs) be
reflected in the Vice-Chair's text.

The Vice-Chair's text on this issue was discussed on Monday and
Thursday, 10 and 13 May. Warning against reiterating the IPF/IFF
proposals for action, Australia and the EU suggested deleting text
on enhancing research capacities and support for research. The
G-77/China opposed the deletion, noting that the proposals for
action do not call for a necessary level of support. The G-77/China
also opposed highlighting specific CPF initiatives, aspects of SFM,
such as fire management, or stakeholders in the resolution. On
determination of forest research priorities, she proposed referring
to the involvement of all relevant stakeholders, including
indigenous and local communities, in forest-related research, and
called for making available research results to developing
countries free of cost. These and other outstanding issues were
resolved in informal consultations on Thursday, 13 May, and the
resolution was adopted during the closing plenary.

Final Resolution: The preamble to the final resolution takes note
of the views expressed at UNFF-4 and highlights lessons learned
from the exchange of country experiences. In the operative
paragraphs, UNFF, inter alia:

             calls upon donors to enhance research capacity in developing
countries and provide financial and technical support and capacity
building within the priorities identified by developing countries;

             calls upon countries to enhance, within their capacities,
forestry and research capacities;

             encourages countries to support research networks and
promote: partnerships and participation of relevant stakeholders
in the formulation of research programmes; private sector
investment; and forest-related research based on the need and
priorities of its users, considering the involvement of all
relevant stakeholders, including indigenous and local communities,
in forest-related research; and

             requests the CPF to improve communication and networking
between science, forest policy and civil society and notes the
strength of the CPF members.

TRADITIONAL FOREST-RELATED KNOWLEDGE

On Friday, 7 May, Manuel Guariguata, CBD, presented a report on
TFRK (E/CN.18/2004/7). Some delegates criticized the report for
its: lack of focus on TFRK protection; excessive emphasis on
cataloguing and patents without mentioning their dangers and
limitations; and promoting transfer of technologies without taking
into account the rights of traditional communities and national
legislation. Many emphasized the importance of using
non-intellectual property rights measures for TFRK protection. The
G-77/China called for identifying rights of origin and developing
an international regime for the protection of TFRK. The EU
emphasized the need to recognize indigenous territories and rights
and enhance capacity building for self-determination.

Several delegates stressed the need to consider relevant work in
other international fora, particularly the CBD. New Zealand and
the US suggested referring also to the World Intellectual Property
Organization (WIPO), and Japan to the World Trade Organization's
Agreement on Trade-related Aspects of Intellectual Property
Rights. Malaysia said sui generis systems are most appropriate for

the protection of TFRK and the Indigenous Peoples stressed that
these systems should be developed under the CBD, not WIPO.
Delegates also highlighted the need for: sharing national
experiences; financial support to apply TFRK in SFM; and
recognizing the importance of indigenous peoples' free prior
informed consent. Norway called for a reference to the Akwé:Kon
Guidelines on impact assessments for any developments on
indigenous territories.

On Wednesday and Thursday, 12-13 May, delegates discussed the
Vice-Chair's draft text on TFRK. The EU, opposed by Canada,
reiterated the importance of references to the rights of the
indigenous and local communities, with the US adding "interests."
The US, opposed by the G-77/China, suggested text on facilitating
access to TFRK. Delegates then debated a G-77/China proposal to
refer to "practices and genetic resources" and "the original
holders of TFRK," with New Zealand warning against expanding the
debate beyond the scope of TFRK and noting the difficulties in
identifying traditional or original knowledge holders.

On Thursday, the G-77/China stressed its concern with the earlier
proposed language on the facilitation of access to TFRK, use of
mainstream intellectual property instruments, and prejudging
relevant work in other fora. It proposed instead a simplified
alternative to the Vice-Chair's draft consisting of one operative
paragraph on the need to protect and safeguard TFRK. After
informal consultations and discussion in the working group,
delegates agreed to revert to the initial Vice-Chair's text and
debated, inter alia, the US suggestion, opposed by the G-77/China,
to substitute the reference to "TFRK that is in the common domain"
with language on the agreement of the traditional holders of that
knowledge. On the CPF support to TFRK preservation, the Indigenous
Peoples, upon the request of the G-77/China, reiterated the need
for recognition of indigenous peoples' right to self-determination
and title to property and the free prior informed consent of
indigenous peoples prior to their property being accessed.

The group continued deliberations in informal consultations on
Thursday night and Friday morning, but could not resolve the
issues pertaining to indigenous rights, access to, and means of
protecting, TFRK. It was therefore decided that no resolution on
TFRK would be forwarded to the plenary for approval.

On Friday, 14 May, Vice-Chair Mabhongo reported to the closing
plenary that the working group had concluded that it is not in a
position to adopt a resolution and the discussion on the agenda
item was closed.

SOCIAL AND CULTURAL ASPECTS OF FORESTS

On Wednesday, 5 May, Yemi Katerere, CIFOR, presented the report on
SCAF (E/CN.18/2004/8), highlighting the need to: mainstream SCAF
in NFPs and SFM strategies; promote fair and equitable
benefit-sharing; document the contribution of forests to poverty
reduction; adopt social impact assessment methodologies; and
consider lessons learned on decentralization and the devolution
of authority.

Noting the connection between SFM and poverty alleviation, many
said there was a need to create a stronger link between SFM and
the MDGs. Delegates also said that local community involvement in
SFM decision-making and decentralization and devolution across the
forestry sector were, or could be, important contributors to
poverty alleviation. They debated the significance of: access and
fair and equitable benefit sharing; social conflict; land tenure
and the rights of indigenous peoples; TK; and illegal logging.

The Vice-Chair's text was negotiated on Monday and Wednesday, 10
and 12 May and in informal consultations. On the issue of
benefit-sharing and stakeholder involvement, the EU, opposed by
G-77/China, proposed that UNFF "encourage the use of the CBD Bonn
Guidelines and the development of an international regime to
promote access to forest genetic resources and benefit-sharing
within the framework of the CBD." On the issue of social impact
assessment, some argued that the Akwé:Kon Guidelines should be
used, while others were concerned about how the Guidelines'
implementation can be assessed. Delegates also debated a paragraph
on decentralization to which Switzerland suggested adding a
reference on devolution and on further exploring decentralization
to help address social and cultural concerns more effectively.
The G-77/China objected to the reference to devolution and
proposed deleting this paragraph, unless a compromise formulation
was developed.

On Thursday afternoon, 13 May, in informal consultations,
delegates finalized the SCAF resolution. In the closing plenary,
the indigenous peoples and NGOs expressed concern that, while the
resolution on SCAF does contain a reference to indigenous peoples,
this reference was lacking in substance.

On Friday, 14 May, Vice Chair Mabhongo presented the draft
resolution on SCAF to the closing plenary. Norway, opposed by the
G-77/China, asked to add an operative paragraph on the
contribution of forests to achieving the MDGs, but later agreed
with Chair Isakov not to re-open the debate. The resolution was
adopted without amendments.

Final Resolution: The final resolution highlights several lessons
learned, including on: the role of forests in poverty eradication
and sustainable development, as recognized in the internationally
agreed development goals including those contained in the
Millennium Declaration and the Johannesburg Plan of
Implementation; and the effective participation of all relevant
stakeholders within countries could enhance the implementation
of SFM.

The resolution also:

             urges countries to integrate SFM into their national poverty
reduction strategies, including through their NFPs;

             urges the donor community to provide support to developing
countries to enhance their capacities;

             invites countries to consider the evaluation of the social
and cultural impact of the implementation of NFPs;

             urges the donor community to provide support to developing
countries to enhance their human and institutional capacities, in
the implementation of SFM, including on social and cultural
aspects;

             encourages countries to promote the role of private sector
investment in SFM that takes account of the social and cultural
aspects of forests;

             urges countries to foster greater involvement of relevant
stakeholders, including indigenous peoples, women and youth, in
SFM decision-making; and

             encourages countries to explore options for decentralization
of decision-making on SFM.

MONITORING, ASSESSMENT AND REPORTING AND CRITERIA AND INDICATORS

On Wednesday, 5 May, Peter Holmgren, FAO, presented the report on
MAR (E/CN.18/2004/10) and discussed the connections between
country reports and the FAO global Forest Resources Assessment
2005 (FRA 2005). Noting progress on national forest assessments,
streamlining and reporting, and harmonization of definitions, he
suggested that CPF members strengthen MAR capacity building and
further develop information-reporting frameworks.

Mike Dudley, United Kingdom Forestry Commission, presented the
report of the AHEG MAR (E/CN.18/2003/2), which recommends that:
countries make better use of existing resources for MAR and
strengthen C&I processes; international organizations continue
work on streamlining reporting requirements; the FRA 2005 be
enhanced; the collection of country information for UNFF-5 be
improved; and the sharing of country experiences through
side-events and panel discussions at UNFF-5 be expanded.

In the ensuing discussion, many delegates underscored the need to
harmonize definitions and terms, streamline reporting procedures,
and enhance the FRA 2005.

On Thursday, 6 May, several delegates expressed concern that the
REIAF may flounder without sufficient national reports, and that
the process for preparing the global overview on progress towards
SFM was unclear. The G-77/China emphasized information gaps and a
lack of financial resources for MAR. Amha bin Buang, International
Tropical Timber Organization, and Tiina Vähänen, FAO, presented
the report on C&I (E/CN.18/2004/11), highlighting a recommendation
to adopt indicators on seven common SFM themes:

             extent of forest resources;

             biodiversity;

             forest health;

             productive functions of forest resources;

             protective functions of forest resources;

             socioeconomic functions; and

             legal, policy and institutional framework.

The G-77/China recalled the voluntary nature of SFM C&I and noted
that reporting should accord with national needs, while the EU
stressed the importance of involving all countries in the C&I
processes. Several delegates highlighted progress in reporting and
assessment resulting from the Montreal Process (Working Group on
Criteria and Indicators for the Conservation and Sustainable
Management of Temperate and Boreal Forests), and others called for
incorporating into the thematic areas the contribution of forests
to the global carbon cycle, and to water and soil conservation.

On Monday, 10 May, after hearing country statements, Vice-Chair
Caswell introduced a draft text on both MAR and C&I for SFM.
Delegates discussed the references to the inclusion of forestry in
poverty reduction strategies, stakeholder participation,
assistance to developing and CEITs, and the seven thematic
elements of SFM, with the G-77/China suggesting to take note of
them instead of endorsing them.

On Wednesday and Thursday, 12-13 May, delegates discussed, inter
alia: harmonizing definitions; linking C&I and certification;
synchronizing forest-related reporting; carrying out research on
indicators; and the preparation of a global review of progress
towards SFM for UNFF-5 by the Secretariat. Several paragraphs
related to the REIAF were relegated to the discussion on this
issue. These paragraphs refer to the global overview of progress
towards SFM as a contribution to the discussion at UNFF-5 and were
moved because delegates decided that these issues were better
dealt with in the REIAF resolution, than in the MAR/C&I resolution.

Delegates also debated, inter alia, referencing: the seven
thematic elements; the inclusion of forest-related MAR in national
development plans and poverty reduction strategy papers (PRSP);
stakeholder participation in C&I development; and cultural aspects
of forests as a criteria for SFM. The resolution was adopted in
the final plenary.

Final Resolution: In the resolution, UNFF-4 highlights lessons
learned, including that national forest-related reporting to
international fora places a heavy burden on countries and needs to
be streamlined. The resolution, inter alia, also:

             calls upon the donor community, CPF members and other
organizations to continue to assist countries at their request in
their capacity building for forest-related information and for
MAR, including adoption or implementation of C&I;

             encourages countries to include forests and forest-related
MAR in national development plans and PRSPs; and

             acknowledges the seven thematic elements as a reference
framework for SFM and invites countries to consider these elements
in the development of national C&I.

REVIEW OF THE EFFECTIVENESS OF THE INTERNATIONAL ARRANGEMENT ON
FORESTS

On Friday, 7 May, Pekka Patosaari introduced a proposal on a
process to facilitate the REIAF (E/CN.18/2004/12). The proposal
involved, inter alia, the submission of voluntary reports by
countries, CPF members and major groups, and the preparation of a
synthesis report prior to UNFF-5. A number of delegations stressed
the need for a transparent and universally participatory review
process. Canada proposed that the CPF conduct the REIAF. CPF
Coordinator Hosny El-Lakany said the CPF would not undertake the
REIAF. The US described the REIAF as an inherently political
function to be undertaken by the UNFF, and asserted that the REIAF
should cover not only UNFF but also the work of the CPF and the
UNFF Secretariat. Patosaari replied that the Secretariat is not
part of the international arrangement on forests (IAF) and is
accountable only to the Secretary-General.

The EU said the review of progress toward SFM and the REIAF are
closely related. Switzerland, with Australia, stated the review of
progress toward SFM is irrelevant to REIAF and that REIAF should
focus on the particular contributions of the IAF to SFM. China
proposed that the Secretariat prepare a questionnaire based on the
review criteria agreed at UNFF-2. Japan called for identifying
quantifiable benchmarks to facilitate country reporting for the
REIAF. Others urged the inclusion of qualitative information in
addition to quantified benchmarks.

On Tuesday and Thursday, 11 and 13 May, delegates considered a
Vice-Chair's draft text comprising proposals for submitting a
questionnaire, quantifiable benchmarks, and voluntary reports on
implementation. The deliberations were frequently suspended for
informal consultations.

The working group engaged in a prolonged discussion on the
proposed questionnaire. Many repeatedly stressed that a
questionnaire would raise the reporting rate and facilitate REIAF
by making reports more comparable. Several countries emphasized
the voluntary nature of the questionnaire. Canada stressed that
the questionnaire should aim to clarify the extent to which the
IAF has influenced national actions. The G-77/China expressed
reservations about the feasibility of developing a questionnaire
at UNFF-4, suggested making only a general request to Member
States for their views, and opposed a US proposal to convene an
informal group in New York to draft the questionnaire, as well as
an EU proposal to use a "simple rating system."

On quantifiable benchmarks, the US suggested that Member States
identify the benchmarks used at the national level, while the EU
stressed that quantifiable benchmarks are still to be developed.

During informal consultations Thursday evening, 13 May, the
G-77/China agreed, in principle, to the inclusion of a questionnaire
on the condition that an explicit reference be included that
recognized that responses to the questionnaire would be voluntary.
The remainder of the informal consultations dealt with designing
the questionnaire. Delegates agreed that the questionnaire would
be annexed to the resolution. References to quantifiable
benchmarks were subsequently deleted from the text, but retained
in the annexed voluntary questionnaire. Consensus was finally
reached early in the morning of Friday, 14 May. Delegates agreed
to the REIAF resolution in the closing plenary.

Final Resolution: In its resolution, UNFF-4 requests the
Secretariat to submit to Member States, CPF members and other
relevant organizations and processes: guidelines for reports on
the implementation of IPF/IFF proposals for action; a voluntary
questionnaire, annexed to the resolution and based on the Specific
Criteria for REIAF contained in UNFF resolution 2/3; and baseline
information relevant to the Specific Criteria. The annexed
questionnaire allows respondents to select activities on which to
report, and asks countries to assess the IAF as having either
"none," "limited," "moderate," or "high" effectiveness.

The resolution also:

             invites Member States to voluntarily submit responses to the
questionnaire and reports on the implementation of the IPF/IFF
proposals for action;

             requests the Secretary-General to prepare well in advance of
UNFF-5 a report based on the submitted information; and

             requests the UNFF Secretariat to prepare and contribute to
UNFF-5 a global overview of progress towards SFM, in cooperation
with CPF members and C&I processes and based on existing sources
of information, including national reports, the FRA and C&I
processes.

ENHANCED COOPERATION

On Tuesday morning, 4 May, Pekka Patosaari presented the
Secretariat's note on enhanced cooperation and policy and
programme coordination (E/CN.18/2004/13). He suggested that UNFF,
inter alia:

             further improve major groups' involvement;

             facilitate the creation of partnerships;

             invite CPF members to prepare a contribution on the role of
forests in implementing the Millennium Declaration;

             consider the impacts that implementing the Monterrey
Consensus on Financing for Development will have on SFM; and

             strengthen regional cooperation and identify regional focal
points for the UNFF.

The UNFF Secretariat also presented an overview of views from
Member States and CPF members on collaboration between UNFF and
the CBD, highlighting that many respondents agreed on, inter alia,
similarities between the ecosystem approach and SFM and the high
degree of correspondence and potential complementarity between the
IPF/IFF proposals for action and the CBD expanded programme of
work on forest biodiversity.

Hosny El-Lakany, CPF, reported on the CPF's progress since UNFF-3
(E/CN.18/2004/INF.1), highlighting: the CPF Sourcebook on
Financing for SFM; the task force on streamlining forest-related
financing; work on definitions; and support to all UNFF
country- and organization-led initiatives.

Henning Wuester, UN Framework Convention on Climate Change
(UNFCCC), noted a recently adopted common framework for reporting
greenhouse gas emissions and removals by forests that will be
freely available and useful to UNFF participants.

Manuel Guariguata, CBD, highlighted the development of a CBD
forest-related information service as well as recent CBD decisions
on mountain biodiversity and protected areas.

Rui Zheng, UN Convention to Combat Desertification (CCD), reported
on activities undertaken by the CCD in relation to forests and
ecosystems, highlighting the Viterbo workshop on synergies among
the Rio conventions.

Kanta Kumari, Global Environment Facility (GEF), presented the
scope of various GEF modalities that support the implementation of
the IPF/IFF proposals for action, including the Forest and the
Sustainable Land Management Operational Programs.

Several delegates noted the need for synergies among international
initiatives on forests and with subregional organizations, and
links between the ecosystem approach and SFM.

Many delegates stressed the importance of cooperation between UNFF
and the three Rio conventions and expressed regret that
initiatives on forest-related synergies occur outside the CPF
network. They also emphasized linkages between SFM and the
ecosystem approach, and between forest policy and poverty
eradication.

On Monday, 10 May, and Wednesday, 12 May, delegates discussed a
Vice-Chair's draft text on enhanced cooperation and policy and
programme coordination, and discussed cooperation with regional
organizations, country experiences, progress already achieved in
enhancing cooperation, and the need for cooperation on finance and
technology transfer. The EU, supported by New Zealand,
Switzerland, the US and Canada, and opposed by the G-77/China,
proposed a preambular paragraph welcoming a CBD decision
recognizing SFM as a means of implementing the ecosystem approach.
The G-77/China, opposed by the EU, Switzerland, the US, New
Zealand and Canada, also requested the deletion of an operative
paragraph urging countries to use SFM to implement the CBD
ecosystem approach. China said the ecosystem approach is a
scientific tool for implementing SFM, not vice versa.  The
G-77/China proposed that the Secretariat identify the linkages
between forests and the MDGs in a report to UNFF-5. Norway, the
US, Switzerland and New Zealand, opposed by the G-77/China, called
for retaining reference to the private sector. Delegates accepted
a G-77/China proposal to standardize references to "multilateral
development goals including those contained in the Millennium
Declaration."

Informal consultations continued during the evenings of Wednesday,
12 May, and Thursday, 13 May. However, late on 13 May, delegates
decided that no consensus could be reached on this resolution. The
point of contention had to do with the relationship between SFM
and the ecosystem approach. Some developed countries wanted to
make an explicit reference urging countries to utilize SFM as a
means of implementing the ecosystem approach. But the G-77/China
was opposed to this reference.

On Friday, 14 May, Chair Isakov, on behalf of Vice-Chair Swajaya
(Indonesia), announced in plenary that no consensus had been
reached on enhanced cooperation.

FINANCE AND TRANSFER OF ENVIRONMENTALLY SOUND TECHNOLOGIES

On Tuesday, 4 May, Knut Øistad (Norway), presented the
recommendations of the AHEG on finance and transfer of
environmentally sound technologies (FINTEST) (E/CN.18/2004/5). The
G-77/China stressed the urgent need for concrete efforts toward
achieving ODA targets and recommended further developing and
implementing specific recommendations. The US suggested selecting
a set of concrete recommendations regarding areas where both
Member States and the CPF can catalyze action on the ground.

Delegates also highlighted the importance of the private sector
and the need for more effective utilization of existing resources.
The EU, supported by many, suggested that an informal group with
balanced representation guide the UNFF Bureau and Secretariat in
producing a draft resolution on this issue.

On Tuesday, 11 May, delegates discussed a Vice-Chair's draft text
on FINTEST, focusing on, inter alia: how to refer to the
Brazzaville Global Workshop on EST and Capacity Building; the text
on linkages between the recommendations of the AHEG FINTEST and
AHEG PARAM, with the US and G-77/China opposing the reference; and
the G-77/China proposal to focus on the provision of increased
financial resources, including ODA.

The US proposed additional paragraphs based on the AHEG FINTEST
report pertaining to:

             mainstreaming SFM in national development strategies and
highlighting forests' contributions to poverty alleviation and
economic and social development;

             improving rent capture from forest management;

             fulfilling ODA commitments and increasing the share of
SFM-related ODA;

             inviting the World Bank to attract private investment to
forests and incorporate SFM into its policies and strategies; and

             developing the SFM component of the GEF's Sustainable Land
Management focal area.

This proposal and other outstanding issues were discussed in
informal consultations on Thursday, 13 May. The resolution was
adopted in the closing plenary.

Final Resolution: In the preamble, UNFF reaffirms that finance and
transfer of EST are essential for sustainable development of all
types of forests, particularly in developing countries and CEITs,
and takes note of the AHEG FINTEST recommendations with a view to
REIAF, the Brazzaville Global Workshop, and views exchanged at
UNFF-4.

In the operational paragraphs, UNFF: encourages Member States, the
CPF, and other organizations, bodies and processes to take
concrete action on the AHEG FINTEST recommendations, as
appropriate; and decides to give further consideration to FINTEST
in the UNFF programme of work.

CLOSING PLENARY

During the closing Plenary, on Friday morning, 14 May, delegates
approved without comment the Chair's Summaries of the Africa Day
Panel Discussion (E/CN.18/2004/CRP.1), the Multi-stakeholder
Dialogue (E/CN.18/2004/CRP.2), the Panel Discussion on the role of
forests in achieving broader development goals (E/CN.18/2004/CRP.3),
and the SIDS Day Panel Discussion (E/CN.18/2004/CRP.4).

PREPARATIONS FOR THE AHEG PARAM: Pekka Patosaari introduced a note
on progress in preparing the meeting of the AHEG PARAM
(E/CN.18/2004/6), noting that the Secretariat is preparing
documentation to assist experts in undertaking the tasks mandated.
Noting that only 32 expert nominations have been submitted, he
urged Member States to submit their nominations as soon as possible.

STRATEGIC PLAN 2006-2007: Patosaari also introduced a note on the
proposed strategic framework for the biennium 2006-2007
(E/CN.18/2004/14), to be submitted to the UN General Assembly in
time for its fifty-ninth session. The framework includes long-term
objectives, expected accomplishments, indicators of achievements,
and strategies to achieve objectives. Noting that UNFF will
undertake a review of its activities at UNFF-5 that may require
revisions to the 2006-2007 work programme, he underlined that the
strategic framework acts as a placeholder, and that any
modifications of the programme will be submitted to ECOSOC in
order to make appropriate recommendations to the UN General
Assembly on necessary revisions to the proposed programme budget.
Switzerland noted that the submission of the 2006-2007 strategic
framework to ECOSOC should not, in any way, pre-empt the UNFF-5
decision on the future of UNFF.

DATES AND VENUE FOR UNFF-5: Delegates agreed that UNFF-5 would be
held from 16-27 May 2005, at UN headquarters in New York.
Delegates adopted the UNFF-5 provisional agenda (E/CN.18/2004/L.2)
without amendments.

ADOPTION OF UNFF-4 REPORT: Delegates adopted the final report of
UNFF-4 without comment (E/CN.18/2004/L.1). Delegates also adopted
final resolutions on FRSK, MAR/C&I, REIAF, SCAF, FINTEST. These
will be included in the final UNFF-4 report.

CLOSING STATEMENTS: Pekka Patosaari said that UNFF is the key
international institution for comprehensive dialogue on forests,
and emphasized the high degree of trust and friendship that
characterizes UNFF. He also noted the important role of the CPF
and said that the next year will be very important for UNFF.

Qatar, on behalf of the G-77/China, thanked the Secretariat and
Bureau and welcomed further progress in the achievement of SFM.

Noting its positive engagement in the process, Ireland, on behalf
of the EU and candidate countries Bulgaria, Romania and Turkey,
expressed disappointment at the failure to advance thematic issues
and, therefore, the process as a whole and called for the
development of core future goals for the forest process and an IAF.

Sharing the disappointment of many delegations about the lack of a
resolution on TFRK, Canada noted that TFRK had been an important
element throughout the discussions, stressed the link of TFRK to
SFM and committed to attend to the issue at the national and
international levels, welcoming the upcoming expert meeting in
Costa Rica.

Noting the heavy agenda, the US welcomed rich dialogue on TFRK
involving indigenous representatives as the real experts both in
the MSD and as members of delegations.

Switzerland expressed disappointment that there was no resolution
on TFRK, one of the main topics of UNFF-4, and that no agreement
on the linkage of SFM and the ecosystem approach had been reached,
but said that the resolution on the REIAF process and the attached
questionnaire were a sign for the commitment to reforming UNFF.

Russia was confident that the positive trends that came to light
at UNFF-4 would be continued at the next session.

Mexico regretted not reaching agreements on TFRK and enhanced
cooperation.

Lamenting that their voices and input had been limited, Emily
Caruso, Forest Peoples' Programme, on behalf of the Indigenous
Peoples and NGOs, noted lack of agreement between governments on
fundamental issues for indigenous peoples, including their rights
and free prior informed consent and customary mechanisms for the
protection of TFRK, all of which they said must be based on the
recognition of indigenous ownership and control of their
knowledge, territories and resources. She recognized that UNFF is
not the appropriate forum for this debate and said the expert
meeting on TFRK in Costa Rica will be an important venue for
indigenous experts and government representatives.

Chair Isakov said that despite the heavy agenda the spirit of
cooperation at UNFF-4 was remarkable and encouraged delegates to
maintain this momentum over the coming year. He closed UNFF-4 at
1:28 pm.

UNFF-5 REPORT

Immediately after the closure of UNFF-4, Chair Isakov opened the
first meeting of UNFF-5, and delegates elected by acclamation the
following UNFF-5 Bureau members: Francis K. Butagira (Uganda),
Adam Craciunescu (Romania), Manuel Rodriguez Becerra (Colombia),
and Denys Gauer (France). Chair Isakov postponed election of the
Asian Group Bureau member and closed the meeting.

A BRIEF ANALYSIS OF UNFF-4

The fourth session of the United Nations Forum on Forests will
likely be remembered as one of the most ambitious sessions. The
UNFF-4 agenda was a rich palette of issues ranging from
traditional and scientific forest-related knowledge to the social
and cultural aspects of forests. However, throughout the two
weeks, it appeared that many participants seemed more intent on
one single issue - the preparations for next year's review of the
effectiveness of the current international arrangement on forests.
This is not surprising given that the future of UNFF and the
sustainable forest management dialogue hinges on UNFF-5 and the
review process.

Over the last 12 years, since the adoption of the Forest
Principles and Agenda 21, the international community has worked
hard to operationalize the concept of sustainable forest
management. Yet, for all its effort, it is still struggling to put
into practice what it set out to do a decade ago, namely to find
the right balance between the economic imperatives of forestry and
conservation within a social context that demands an ever-increasing
degree of accountability.

Despite recurrent calls for specificity, much of the formal
discussions at UNFF-4 remained at a high level of generality.
There were concrete proposals intended to pour life into the
current modus operandi of UNFF, but those ran up against
opposition and talks on two of the five thematic issues collapsed.
As a result, to the chagrin of many, the meeting failed to adopt
resolutions on enhanced cooperation and on traditional
forest-related knowledge. This analysis considers some of the
achievements and shortcomings of UNFF-4, and offers some
observations on the political dynamics constituting UNFF at this
critical juncture.

ATTEMPTING TO ESCAPE THE RHETORIC TREADMILL

One positive aspect of UNFF-4 was that some countries went beyond
empty rhetoric and sought innovative ways to jumpstart political
will by introducing new incentives into UNFF. Several countries
made concerted efforts to enhance cooperation with other
institutions by linking SFM with the application of the ecosystem
approach developed under the CBD. This proved to be too difficult,
since others refused to deal with issues that are being discussed
in other fora. Those who opposed the idea were so adamant that
they blocked the entire resolution on enhanced cooperation that
sank as a result, taking down with it important paragraphs on
other topics.

The most significant collateral damage was the loss of already
agreed paragraphs linking SFM to the Millennium Development Goals.
Several countries had made a strong push to link forestry with
poverty reduction strategies. Many saw this as a promising way to
increase forest-related funding. Perhaps more importantly, some
viewed it as a way to elevate the international status of forests
and forestry, given that the Millennium Development Goals are
becoming a focus of the larger sustainable development agenda. The
proponents of the idea eventually succeeded in allaying the
concerns of developing countries that such linkage would be
tantamount to imposing conditionality. In the end, however, this
victory was wasted, since the resolution on enhanced cooperation
in which the SFM-Millennium Development Goals link was most
prominent was abandoned altogether.

TRADITIONAL FOREST-RELATED KNOWLEDGE

In the debate on TFRK, UNFF may have gotten ahead of itself when
it attempted to address the deeply political issues of indigenous
peoples' rights, access and benefit-sharing and intellectual

property rights, all of which have been the subject of intense
political debate in other United Nations bodies for years. Given
the fact that some of the delegates had not participated in such
parallel processes, such as the Convention on Biological
Diversity, the UNFF was not in a position to deal with these
specific questions, let alone pre-empt other ongoing discussions.
On the other hand, UNFF could have shaped its identity and
demonstrated expertise by making an independent contribution to
more technical and little researched issues, such as the
development of sui generis systems for the protection of TFRK. In
the end, the attempt to deal with too many issues backfired. The
resolution on TFRK could not be adopted, so that, in the end, the
only thing that delegates ultimately agreed upon was that UNFF was
not the appropriate forum for addressing these issues.

POLITE LISTENING: ENGAGING CIVIL SOCIETY

The multi-stakeholder dialogue drew superlatives from delegates
who praised its organization and level of civil society
participation. At the same time, many of the 150 major group
representatives were dissatisfied with the mode of the dialogue.
In the plenary and corridors alike, they complained that UNFF has
never really incorporated the input of indigenous peoples and
other members of civil society. The fact that the resolution on
social and cultural aspects of forests included merely a single
weak reference to indigenous peoples only served to reinforce the
perception that UNFF does not reflect the concerns of civil
society. Similarly, governments kept their monopoly on next year's
review, by making national and CPF reports the sole basis for
drawing conclusions in the review, and carefully deleting
references to "other sources of information." Thus, it should come
as no surprise that environmental NGOs continue to feel as though
their views are not respected within UNFF. As one NGO
representative noted, it is hard to persuade NGOs that it is worth
investing scare resources in the UNFF, when the return on
investment is so meager.

Indeed, few members of civil society view UNFF as a forum for a
genuine exchange of views and opportunity to advance the SFM
agenda. This raises the question of the ramifications of the civil
society disengagement for the design of the post-UNFF arrangement,
as well as for its long-term viability. The fact that the agreed
review process does not allow input from members of civil society
is likely to perpetuate their sense of alienation from the process
and could eventually deprive the post-UNFF arrangement of an
important source of legitimacy.

PREPARING FOR THE UNFF-5 REVIEW: "READY, STEADY - GO!"

The hallmark of the session was the intense informal consultations
that occurred throughout the two weeks on the future directions of
the multilateral forestry process. Next year's review is highly
consequential since it will set the stage for the post-UNFF-5 era.
Thus delegates were eager to establish the modalities and scope of
the process for preparing the review.

Given the low rate of country reporting in the past, everyone was
concerned that a shortage of reports would undermine the review,
and negotiating efforts focused on devising a mechanism to boost
the submission of reports on which to base the review. One
proposed mechanism was to send countries a questionnaire that they
could use to report back to UNFF the extent of their
implementation and the contributions that UNFF and the CPF have
made to it. Initially, many delegations were opposed to idea of a
questionnaire, wary that the questionnaire might force them to
report and afraid that their countries would be judged and ranked.
However, these fears were allayed after it was made clear in the
resolution text that the questionnaire would be voluntary.
Reaching agreement in the wee hours of the last day brought relief
to many and the resulting resolution can be considered a notable
achievement of UNFF-4.

QUO VADIS: CONTEMPLATING THE POST-UNFF ERA

One point of clear consensus in Geneva was that UNFF has failed to
deliver on its stated aims, and that continuing the arrangement in
its current form is neither politically viable nor desirable. Even
countries who were traditionally enthusiastic supporters of UNFF
are now willing to concede that the arrangement has been only
marginally successful. As such, many have noted that the virtually
unanimous agreement among delegations that a serious change is
needed should now be the starting point for discussions on the
post-UNFF arrangement.

The major players conducted their consultations in a constructive
mood, eschewing worn-out arguments for and against a convention,
and seeking agreement on the particular objectives of a post-UNFF
arrangement before trying to choose the most suitable arrangement
for achieving these goals. This is perhaps the most significant
dynamic shift that has occurred within UNFF since its inception.

Several countries appear to be still entrenched in their positions
regarding a convention, and the pro-treaty camp can boast new
additions in its ranks. However, the vast majority of countries
are flexible, willing to keep all options open, and eager to find
out what everybody else wants before they align themselves. In
this context, the upcoming September meeting of the ad hoc expert
group on consideration with a view to recommending the parameters
of a mandate for developing a legal framework on all types of
forests promises to be an important threshold.

It is worth noting that many want to elevate the legal status of
UNFF vis-à-vis other instruments relevant to forests. Some see
elevating the status of UNFF as a way to gain advantage in turf
wars with other legally binding instruments, such as the
Convention on Biological Diversity. Whether such calculus affects
the likelihood of a convention, and what the post-UNFF format
would look like is far from clear at this stage. For now, a host
of proposals are on the table, from a non-binding arrangement that
is looser than UNFF, to developing a forest protocol to the CBD,
to negotiating a global forest convention.

Eventually, the effectiveness of any post-UNFF-5 arrangement will
depend not so much on its particular modalities, but on
governments' political will to work within it. The real question,
therefore, is not what type of umbrella arrangement to create, but
how to jumpstart the political will of governments and what
incentives might be introduced to induce action on the ground. The
continued supply of constructive ideas, such as linking forestry
to poverty reduction as a way of boosting SFM financing, may be
essential for the viability of the multilateral forestry process.
On balance, however, the productive mood that permeated UNFF-4
made the session a generally positive experience and elevated
hopes that next year governments will take advantage of the
opportunity to shape the post-UNFF arrangement.

THINGS TO LOOK FOR BEFORE UNFF-5

THIRD SESSION OF THE UN PERMANENT FORUM ON INDIGENOUS ISSUES: The
third session of the UN Permanent Forum on Indigenous Issues will
take place from 10-21 May 2004, at UN headquarters in New York.
The special theme of this session is indigenous women. For more
information, contact: Yao Ngoran, NGO Unit, UN Division for Social
Policy and Development; tel: +1-212-963-3175; fax: +1-212-963-
3063; e-mail: ngoran at un.org; Internet:
http://www.un.org/esa/socdev/pfii/PFII3/index.html

FAO NEAR EAST FORESTRY COMMISSION: The FAO Regional Forestry
Commission Meeting for the Near East will be held from 24-28 May
2004, in Beirut, Lebanon. For more information, contact: Hassan O.
Abdel Nour, Senior Forestry Officer, FAO Regional Office for the
Near East; tel: +20-2-331-6000; fax: +20-2-749-5981 or 337-3419;
e-mail: hassan.abdelnour at fao.org; Internet: http://www.fao.org/
forestry/foris/webview/forestry2/index.jsp?siteId=1400&sitetreeId
=2970&langId=1&geoId=0

SYMPOSIUM ON THE EFFECTS OF FOREST CERTIFICATION IN DEVELOPING
COUNTRIES AND EMERGING ECONOMIES: This symposium will be held from
10-11 June 2004, in New Haven, Connecticut, US. For more
information, contact: Elizabeth Gordon, Yale Program on Forest
Certification; tel: +1-203-432-3034; fax: +1-203-432-0026; e-mail:
elizabeth.gordon at yale.edu; Internet:
http://www.yale.edu/forestcertification/symposium

TWENTIETH SESSIONS OF THE SUBSIDIARY BODIES TO THE UNFCCC: The
Twentieth Session of the Subsidiary Body for Scientific and
Technological Advice (SBSTA) and the Subsidiary Body for
Implementation (SBI) to the UN Framework Convention on Climate
Change (UNFCCC) will convene from 16-25 June 2004, in Bonn,
Germany. For more information, contact: UNFCCC Secretariat; tel:
+49-228-815-1000; fax: +49-228-815-1999; e-mail:
secretariat at unfccc.int; Internet:
http://unfccc.int/sessions/sb20/index.html

FIRST WORLD CONGRESS OF AGROFORESTRY: This Congress will take
place from 27 June to 2 July 2004, in Orlando, Florida, US. For
more information, contact: Mandy Padgett Stage, School of Forest
Resources & Conservation, University of Florida; tel: +1-352-392-
5930; fax: +1-352-392-9734; e-mail: mrpadgett at ifas.ufl.edu;
Internet: http://conference.ifas.ufl.edu/wca

ITTC-36: The 36th session of the International Tropical Timber
Council (ITTC) and Associated Sessions of the Committees will take
place from 20-23 July 2004, in Interlaken, Switzerland. For more
information, contact: Manoel Sobral Filho, Executive Director,
ITTO Secretariat; tel: +81-45-223-1110; fax: +81-45-223-1111;
e-mail: itto at itto.or.jp; Internet: http://www.itto.or.jp

NEGOTIATIONS OF A SUCCESSOR AGREEMENT TO ITTA, 1994: The
negotiations of a successor agreement to the International
Tropical Timber Agreement (ITTA, 1994) will be held from 26-30
July 2004, in Geneva, Switzerland, following ITTC-36. For more
information, contact: Manoel Sobral Filho, Executive Director,
ITTO Secretariat; tel: +81-45-223-1110; fax: +81-45-223-1111;
e-mail: itto at itto.or.jp; Internet: http://www.itto.or.jp

SECOND WORLDWIDE SYMPOSIUM ON GENDER AND FORESTRY: This symposium,
organized by the Gender and Forestry Research Group of the
International Union of Forest Research Organizations (IUFRO), will
be held from 1-10 August 2004, in Arusha, Tanzania. For more
information, contact: Ann Merete Furuberg, Hedmark University
College, Norway; tel: +47-90-163092; fax: +47-62-945753; e-mail:
merete.furuberg at hedmark-f.kommune.no; Internet:
http://iufro.boku.ac.at/iufro/iufronet/d6/wu61800/2an-gender.htm

UNFF AHEG PARAM: The ad hoc expert group of the UNFF on
consideration with a view to recommending the parameters of a
mandate for developing a legal framework on all types of forests
(AHEG PARAM) will meet from 6-10 September 2004, in New York. For
more information, contact: Elisabeth Barsk-Rundquist, UNFF
Secretariat; tel: +1-212-963-3263; fax: +1-917-367-3186; e-mail:
barsk-rundquist at un.org; Internet: http://www.un.org/esa/forests

FAO EUROPEAN FORESTRY COMMISSION AND UNECE TIMBER COMMITTEE: This
joint session of the FAO European Forestry Commission and the
UNECE Timber Committee will take place from 4-7 October 2004, in
Geneva, Switzerland. For more information, contact UN Economic
Commission on Europe (UNECE) Secretariat; UNECE/FAO Timber Branch;
tel: +41-22-9171234; fax: +41-22-917-0041; e-mail:
info.timber at unece.org; Internet:
http://www.unece.org/trade/timber/tc-meet.htm

THIRD IUCN WORLD CONSERVATION CONGRESS: The third World
Conservation Union Conservation Congress will be held from 17-25
November 2004, in Bangkok, Thailand. For more information,
contact: Elroy Bos, IUCN Wetlands and Water Resources Programme;
tel: +41-22-999-0251; fax: +41-22-999- 0025; e-mail:
elroy.bos at iucn.org; Internet: http://www.iucn.org

TENTH CONFERENCE OF THE PARTIES TO THE UNFCCC: The tenth session
of the Conference of the Parties to the UN Framework Convention on
Climate Change will meet from 6-17 December 2004, in Buenos Aires,
Argentina. For more information, contact: UNFCCC Secretariat; tel:
+49-228-815-1000; fax: +49-228-815-1999; e-mail:
secretariat at unfccc.int; Internet: http://unfccc.int/cop10/index.html

EXPERT MEETING ON TRADITIONAL FOREST-RELATED KNOWLEDGE AND THE
IMPLEMENTATION OF RELATED INTERNATIONAL COMMITMENTS: This meeting,
organized by the International Alliance of Indigenous Tribal
Peoples of Tropical Forests, will take place from 6-10 December
2004, in San José, Costa Rica. For more information, contact:
Annabel Pinker; tel: +66-53-904037; fax: +66-53-277645; e-mail:
iait at loxinfo.co.th; Internet: http://www.international-alliance.org

ITTC-37: The 37th session of the ITTC and Associated Sessions of
the Committees will be held from 13-18 December 2004, in Yokohama,
Japan. For more information, contact: Manoel Sobral Filho,
Executive Director, ITTO Secretariat; tel: +81-45-223-1110; fax:
+81-45-223-1111; e-mail: itto at itto.or.jp; Internet:
http://www.itto.or.jp

INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE FOR THE TEN-YEAR REVIEW OF IMPLEMENTATION
OF THE BARBADOS PROGRAMME OF ACTION: The International Meeting
will be held from 10-14 January 2005, in Port Louis, Mauritius. It
will be preceded by informal consultations on 8 and 9 January. For
more information, contact: Diane Quarless, UNDSD, SIDS Unit; tel:
+1-212-963-4135; fax: +1-917-367-3391; e-mail:
Mauritius2004 at sidsnet.org; Internet: http://www.sidsnet.org/

CCD CRIC-3: The third session of the Committee for the Review of
the Implementation of the Convention (CRIC-3), a subsidiary body
of the UN Convention to Combat Desertification, is tentatively
scheduled to convene from 31 January to 11 February 2005, in Bonn,
Germany. For more information, contact: UNCCD Secretariat; tel:
+49-228-815-2802; fax: +49-228-815-2898; e-mail:
secretariat at unccd.int; Internet: http://www.unccd.int

CBD SBSTTA-10: The tenth meeting of the Subsidiary Body on
Scientific, Technical and Technological Advice of the Convention
of Biological Diversity is tentatively scheduled from 14-18
February 2005, in Thailand. For more information, contact: CBD
Secretariat; tel: +1-514-288-2220; fax: +1-514-288-6588; e-mail:
secretariat at biodiv.org; Internet: http://www.biodiv.org

UNFF-5: The fifth session of UNFF is scheduled to be held from 16-
27 May 2005, in New York. For more information, contact: Elisabeth
Barsk-Rundquist, UNFF Secretariat; tel: +1-212-963-3262; fax: +1-

This issue of the Earth Negotiations Bulletin © <enb at iisd.org> is
written and edited by Andrew Baldwin <andrew at iisd.org>; Radoslav
Dimitrov, Ph.D. <rado at iisd.org>; María Gutiérrez <maria at iisd.org>;
Tamilla Gaynutdinova <tamilla at iisd.org>; and Nicole Schabus
<nicole at iisd.org>. The Digital Editor is Leslie Paas
<leslie at iisd.org>. The Editor is Pamela S. Chasek, Ph.D.
<pam at iisd.org> and the Director of IISD Reporting Services is
Langston James "Kimo" Goree VI <kimo at iisd.org>. The Sustaining
Donors of the Bulletin are the Government of the United States of
America (through the Department of State Bureau of Oceans and
International Environmental and Scientific Affairs), the
Government of Canada (through CIDA), the Swiss Agency for
Environment, Forests and Landscape (SAEFL), the United Kingdom
(through the Department for International Development - DFID), the
Danish Ministry of Foreign Affairs, the Government of Germany
(through the German Federal Ministry of Environment - BMU, and the
German Federal Ministry of Development Cooperation - BMZ), and the
Netherlands Ministry of Foreign Affairs. General Support for the
Bulletin during 2004 is provided by the United Nations Environment
Programme (UNEP), the Government of Australia, Austrian Federal
Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry, Environment and Water
Management, the Ministry of Environment and the Ministry of
Foreign Affairs of Sweden, the Ministry of Environment and the
Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Norway, Swan International, the
Japanese Ministry of Environment (through the Institute for Global
Environmental Strategies - IGES) and the Japanese Ministry of
Economy, Trade and Industry (through the Global Industrial and
Social Progress Research Institute - GISPRI). Funding for
translation of the Earth Negotiations Bulletin in French has been
provided by the International Organization of the Francophonie
(IOF) and the French Ministry of Foreign Affairs. The opinions
expressed in the Earth Negotiations Bulletin are those of the
authors and do not necessarily reflect the views of IISD or other
donors. Excerpts from the Earth Negotiations Bulletin may be used
in non-commercial publications with appropriate academic citation.
For information on the Bulletin, including requests to provide
reporting services, contact the Director of IISD Reporting
Services at <kimo at iisd.org>, +1-212-644-0217 or 212 East 47th St.
#21F, New York, NY 10017, USA.
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

1. Contact  Details:

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Information and communications Officer

CONSERVE AFRICA FOUNDATION
1st Floor
36 The Market Square
London
N9 0TZ
Tel: +442088078000
Fax: +442088036611
Web:www.conserveafrica.org.uk
E-mail: info at conserveafrica.org.uk

3. Unsubscribing from this email newsletter:

 To stop receiving these emails please follow the unsubscribe link at the
bottom of this email newsletter.

4. Privacy: email addresses are never discussed ,shared, sold or given out
to anyone.