[MPWG] Question of the month: Invasives removal amidstharvestable medici...

Center for Sustainable Resources sustainableresources at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 1 23:15:38 CDT 2004

Jennifer, You make some good points. The worse part is that these knee jerk
actions tend to take a simple problem issue and create huge problems in the
future. Reductionist thinking has been the downfall of every civilization in
the past. The Sahara desert was created by the Romans who used it as a grain
production area (monoculture) after removing the animals and plants that
were common.
All problems dealing with ecosystems can be traced back to biodiversity loss
with almost all of that being brought about by humans who make decisions in
only one way.
They like to call some species "invasive" but as I was once asked when did
ginseng get it's green card? and who gets to grant these green cards? What
about roses? Should not we go into all of the city parks and spray them with
Monsantos latest poison? If you want to see where these chemicals hit home
just take a look at the bottoms of the rivers here where the factorys are.
We have health warnings on the fish. It works it's way all the way through
the food chain.
What we have are people who can not manage land because they no longer do
simple things like weeding or thinking. We find ourselves in a nation of
people who are not willing to work.
Stilt grass is a very weak plant with shallow roots easy to pull out from
around other plants. It is there for a reason . The soil is trying to repair
itself whether the result of overrest, removal of trees , or erosion, fire,
machanical disturbances, etc. ,All human actions yet the cause is the last
thing to be considered so the list keeps growing. Fred Hays