[MPWG] Transparency clarifications

DianeDonCarlos at aol.com DianeDonCarlos at aol.com
Wed Dec 8 07:43:39 CST 2004

clarifications-
I was not suggesting the organic certification process as the transparency
solution for herbal products i.e.  all herbal product should be "organic". I was
suggesting that organic certification-the document, the process- be used as a
model for developing an herbal certification and/or the beginnings of full
disclosure labeling of herbal products.

Agreed that transparency isn't the only issue, but I feel it is paramount. I
believe in the power of the consumer. I believe in the intellect and decision
making if the consumer. If we have full disclosure on the label for the
contents of the product, then the consumer is faced with a decision i.e. Certified
Organic Ginseng vs. Wild Crafted Ginseng vs. Standardized Ginseng---the
consumer now has three choices and must become educated in order to make the
purchase. Somewhere in that process the consumer might discover CITIES and a host of
other information. Of course there are those who simply make a purchase based
upon price. But others, many others, want to know the difference and will
investigate. Education begins with the label. Labels are on every bottle. The label
is a powerful tool for raising consciousness.

Diane Don Carlos
Herbalist, Organic Inspector
Sweet Farm
33735 Beech Grove Road