FW: AW: [MPWG] Seeking research team

Vance Gellert VGELLERT at mn.rr.com
Wed Aug 18 21:11:44 CDT 2004

I¹m not sure if my first sending of this message went through, I was
watching the Olympics on the same cable as my internet and the first one may
have gone to Greece. Sorry for any duplicationŠ

Dear Wolfgang,

Thanks for your comments and interest. Your concerns are well taken and for
that reason, I've chosen to take our discussion to the group. I hope you
don't mind. First, my interests are strictly artistic/academic. If I were
interested in economic gain, I never would have left pharmacology for the
arts. The support behind this project is an art grant, a travel/study grant
from the Jerome Foundation in Minnesota. As I stated my goal is to foster
understanding of the contribution of shamanic ritual and belief systems to
medicinal plant efficacy that may hopefully lead to novel new research
protocols that more effectively identify new treatment modalities.  I would
not be doing the plant research, only providing the insight to new
possibilities for others to utilize. As important to me as the possible new
treatments is the economic impetus these discoveries might provide for the
preservation of indigenous knowledge and sustainable use of the rain forest
through controlled harvest and cultivation by the communities themselves and
to what extent the governments may be involved. I am aware of the protocols
protecting and rewarding indigenous intellectual property. I won¹t be doing
this direct research and neither I nor my granting organization will derive
economic benefit from what revelations my work may lead to other than to get
continued funding for my project. If I am overlooking something or need to
be made aware of some additional protocols, I will be more than glad to
cooperate.

Photography is a unique art form with its undeniable link to reality and
ability to communicate ideas across cultures. In addition to its factual
content, it has human and emotional meaning that allows a deeper level of
communication through shared truths and values. Through my years of running
an international gallery of photography, I have found that attention can be
drawn to important social issues through art, especially photography. I
brought to the gallery major projects and artists from Russia, Cuba,
Afghanistan and other countries.  The exhibitions together with catalogues,
panel discussions and artists talks brought community awareness to the
cultures and issues of these societies.

The actual product I seek to make is a book of fine photographs that is
embellished with scientific observation. The first half of the book would be
the imagery, conceptually created portraits of the shamans, followed by
plant and treatment information. My dream information would be for the
shaman to share the plant potions for the malady associated with the rituals
that inspire the making of each photograph. It would be exciting to do an
analysis of the plant phytochemistry, the effectiveness of the treatment and
any side effects. And then, my dream continues, is to compare this
information with western scientific treatment/drugs for the same malady
along with its effectiveness and side effects. Comparative chemistries might
also be possible. Admittedly, these are quite high expectations for this
project. Exhibitions of the photographs and treatment information
appropriate to both art and science museums will be produced. The results of
my efforts are for the lay public as well as established researchers and
medical practitioners. Please check my web site: www.vancegellert.com. It is
being updated but accessible now.

This past February I traveled to Bolivia where I had conversations with
organizations and individuals interested in facilitating my project. I met
with the directors of the Wildlife Conservation Society who put me in touch
with the leaders of several indigenous communities who will assist me in
making contact with their shamans. This includes the Tanaca of the northern
lowlands and the Isoseno/Guarni of the Chaco savanna. I have letters of
invitation from both of these communities. In exchange for their help, I
will provide photographs for their museums and their promotional and other
publications. Also well-known Bolivian photographer Willy Kenning will
travel with me to visit with the Kallawaya shamans in the northeast
highlands near Lake Titicaca. He is going to photograph festivals for his
book and will help me make contact with this shaman group. I have also
arranged for the assistance of Conservation International to make contact
with the indigenous communities they work with in Bolivia and near Iquitos,
Peru. Also, I am in communication with Mark Plotkin of the Amazon
Conservation Team from whom I hope to get letter of introduction to the
Council of Shamans of Columbia or UMIYAC (Unión de Medicos Indigenas
Yageceros de la Amazonia Colombiana).

My inquiry to the MPWG is to increase the possibilities of collaboration
hence the success of my project. Although I have made the above contacts, I
figure I can stretch my grant farther by also joining a team and
contributing my skills to the team¹s needs. Additionally, communicating
through the many dialects I expect to encounter may be difficult if not
impossible and I hope to get assistance in this area through the team.

I could go onŠ, this is my dream, my motives are pure. Whatever assistance I
can get to achieve this dream would be greatly appreciated.

Warm Regards,

Vance

--
Vance Gellert