[MPWG] Mountain State University (Beckley, WV) Newsletter - Herbal Dispatch - July 2004

Patricia_DeAngelis at fws.gov Patricia_DeAngelis at fws.gov
Mon Aug 2 14:22:41 CDT 2004

Dear MPWG'ers,

Attached is an electronic copy of the July 2004, Herbal Dispatch!  Below, I
have pasted the table of contents.

   Feature Articles:
   ? Symposium Speaker Profiles
   ? Plant Profile: Ginseng
   ? NCCAM Adds Six New Council Members

   Individual Highlights:
   Science Today 3
   Nat Med News 4
   Conferences 5
   Publications 5

The plant being featured this month is Ginseng.
I've pasted below (in green font) additional information from Pat Ford, who
handles the ginseng issues in our office.  She adds interesting points on
the conservation status of ginseng with regard to its listing on CITES (the
Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and
Fora) and in light of information reported by Nature Serve (which collates
data from the Natural Heritage Programs throughout the U.S.).

-Patricia

Patricia S. De Angelis, Ph.D.
Botanist - Division of Scientific Authority
Chair - Plant Conservation Alliance - Medicinal Plant Working Group
US Fish & Wildlife Service
4401 N. Fairfax Dr., Suite 750
Arlington, VA  22203
703-358-1708 x1753
FAX: 703-358-2276
Working for the conservation and sustainable use of our green natural
resources.
<www.nps.gov/plants/medicinal>

----- Forwarded by Patricia De Angelis/ARL/R9/FWS/DOI on 08/02/2004 03:03
PM -----

                      "Shannon Howard"
                      <showard at mountai         To:      <ThomasAL at missouri.edu>, <beth at herbalist-alchemist.com.>,
                      nstate.edu>              <bmcclintock at wvca.us>, <rlb14 at cornell.edu>, <mccarthy at oak.cats.ohiou.edu>,
                      08/02/2004 10:48         <David.Cooke at mail.wvu.edu>, <dcsalaska at yahoo.com>, <elise at ruralaction.org>,
                      AM                       <epb6 at psu.edu>, <erica.renaud at effem.com>, <sustainableresources at hotmail.com>,
                                               <james.miller at mobot.org>, <Jeanine_davis at ncsu.edu>, <realjoe at hotmail.com>,
                                               <lindah at ruralaction.org>, <memery at fs.fed.us>, <ma323500 at ohio.edu>,
                                               <Patricia_DeAngelis at fws.gov>, <Patricia_Ford at fws.gov>, <rachel at ruralaction.org>,
                                               <Tflastersprint at earthlink.net>
                                               cc:
                                               Subject: newsletter

Here is the July copy of our Herbal Dispatch newsletter.  I hope you
enjoy!!

Shannon Howard
Administrative Assistant
Medicinal Botanicals Project
304-929-1630
showard at mountainstate.edu(See attached file: JUL 04 NL.pdf)

 * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Regarding the article on American ginseng, the species is also listed in
Appendix II of the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Fauna
and Flora (CITES).  As such, anyone who wishes to export either American
ginseng or goldenseal should contact the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service:
http://international.fws.gov/permits/permits.html.  And also their State
Department of Forestry or Department of Department of Agriculture for laws
and regulations concerning these species.

American ginseng is also listed as critically imperiled to uncommon
throughout its range. See attached doc.

Ginseng (Panax quinquefolius L.) was listed in Appendix II of CITES in
1975.  Only wild ginseng roots of 5 years of age or older may be exported.
The species is designated as "Endangered" in Canada; the export of
wild-harvested ginseng roots is prohibited by law (COSEWIC 2001).  In the
United States, wild-collection of ginseng is not permitted or is
discouraged in Connecticut, Delaware, Maine, Massachusetts, Michigan, and
Rhode Island due to declines in populations.  Under State laws, ginseng is
listed as "endangered" in Maine and as "threatened" in Michigan.  Declines
have been documented on National Park lands, U.S. Forest Service lands, and
throughout many other areas within the species' range, including in
Arkansas, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Minnesota, North Carolina,
Ohio, Pennsylvania, Virginia, West Virginia, and Wisconsin.

The attached table shows the conservation status of ginseng in the United
States according to NatureServe (2001).

(See attached file: Fig 1 NatureServe ranking map.doc)

Sincerely,
Pat

Pat Ford
Botanist