[MPWG] Burning Nettles Tincture

Henriette Kress hetta at spamcop.net
Tue Apr 6 15:14:58 CDT 2004

Larry Shuniak wrote:

> At any rate, we started a tincture with the
> Burning Nettles.  Is there anything we should be concerned about with
> this other cousin to Stinging Nettles?  Doethe Burning Nettles have the
> same properties?

If your "burning nettle" is Urtica urens, then yes, it's pretty much
therapeutically identical with Urtica dioica.

But:
1. Urtica urens is _much_ smaller than U. dioica
2. Urtica urens is an annual (U. dioica is a perennial)
3. Urtica urens is much much much much _much_ much stingier than U. dioica
   ("OUCH it BIT me", versus "right, it stings, let's get on with the
    picking")

Which, taken together, generally means that you pick U. dioica when you
have a choice.

Henriette

--
Henriette Kress, AHG                      Helsinki, Finland
Henriette's herbal homepage: http://www.ibiblio.org/herbmed