[MPWG] Re: Saussurea

Josef Brinckmann brink at sonic.net
Mon Oct 27 23:34:26 CST 2003

FYI, costus, a.k.a. kuth (Saussurea costus (FALC.) LIPSCH., syn: Saussurea lappa (DECNE.) C.B. CLARKE) is one of the 32 prioritized medicinal plants identified by India's National Medicinal Plants Board (NMPB) for contract farming projects (http://nmpb.nic.in/prioritisedmedicinalplants.htm). The NMPB provides details on kuth cultivation at the following link: http://nmpb.nic.in/kuth.htm

Regards,
Josef Brinckmann
Consultant on Market Intelligence for Medicinal Plants & Extracts
International Trade Centre (ITC) / UNCTAD
brink at sonic.net

                         Kuth
                                  SAUSSUREA LAPPA C.B. CLARKE FAMILY - ASTERACEAE

            Kuth is a robust erect, perennial plant with large leaves. Roots stout up to 60 cm long. Root is used medicinally. Flowering & fruits period - August-September, seeds collected during September-October.

            COMMON NAMES: Kur, Kusthah and Costus

            LOCATION: Himanchal Pradesh, Uttaranchal, Uttar Pradesh, Jammu & Kashmir, Sikkim & Arunachal Paradesh.

            PART USED: Tuberous Root

            CULTIVATION:

            SOIL AND CLIMATE

            Sandy textured loam soil, rich in moisture and organic carbon is best for germination as well as better survival of seedlings and productivity. The plant grows in temperate and sub-alpine region.

            PLANTING

            Cultivation and nursery of Kuth Bio-edaphic conditions at an altitude of 1200-1800 m is suitable. The seeds are sown in April or May in nursery. When the seedling are +_ 15 cm long, it is transplanted in field.

            IRRIGATION

            The crop requires 5-6 irrigations between May-September. The land is irrigated when seeds are sprouting.

            MANURES, FERTILISERS AND PESTICIDES

            The medicinal plants have to be grown without chemical fertilizers and use of pesticides. Organic manures like, Farm Yard Manure (FYM), Vermi-Compost, Green Manure etc. may be used as per requirement of the species. To prevent diseases, bio-pesticides could be prepared (either single or mixture) from Neem (kernel, seeds & leaves), Chitrakmool, Dhatura, Cow's urine etc.

            HARVESTING/POST-HARVESTING

            Usually in 2-3 years well grown mature root tubers are developed. However, yield is obtained form 3 years old crop. Root is harvested in early September or October or early spring. The roots are cleaned with water and dried for processing.

            YIELD

            After 2-3 years of planting about 200-300 kg. of dry tuberous roots per hectare can be obtained. The market rate is Rs.40-45 per kg.

            ECONOMICS

            Expenditure per ha Rs.14000/-
            Return per ha Rs.45000/-
            Net income per ha Rs.31000/- (YEAR-2001)

            Note: Market for medicinal plants is volatile and the economics may vary.

            INSTITUTE TO BE CONTACTED:

                  HERBAL GARDEN, HERBARIUM & RESEARCH INSTITUTE, JOGINDER NAGAR, GOVT OF H.P.

                  INSTITUTE OF HIMALAYAN BIO-RESOURCE, TECH., PALAMPUR, P.BOX, NO.6, H.P.