[MPWG] Re: Saussurea

C Prakash Kala cpkala at rediffmail.com
Mon Oct 27 22:54:36 CST 2003

An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
-------------- next part --------------
Dear Robyn,

Yes, some of the Saussurea species are being over-collected from some of the pockets. There are many species of Saussurea and few of them are also known for religious values. Thus the collection is for both the medical and religious purposes. I assume that S. costus is mostly dominate the market and also being cultivated by the farmers in Uttaranchal, Himachal and Jammu-Kashmir areas of Indian Himalayas.
Due to the habitat specificity and narrow range of distribution almost all the Saussurea species growing in the high altitude of the Himalayas need conservation.

With best wishes,

CP Kala