[MPWG] RE: Conservation of the peoples heritage

Robyn Klein robyn at rrreading.com
Fri Oct 24 10:13:57 CDT 2003

Dear Dr. Kala and Mr. Hughes,

Indeed, those who teach students and others about medicinal plants are
partly responsible for the popularity of these medicinal plants.  This can
lead to product manufacturers seeking this plant material by the ton from
the wild.  Sustainable growing practices are often not known for some of
these plants and they can only be accessed from the wild.

In the U.S. it has been common among herbalists to write or speak about
"little known" medicinal plants which are usually only found in the wild or
are not being cultivated.  This is often caused by the ego, wishing to set
oneself higher than other practitioners. It is therefore, beneficial if
this is pointed out to all practitioners so they become aware of the effect
of their talks and books.

It is also common practice among North American herbalists to assume that
wild plants are somehow "stronger" and therefore better than cultivated
plants.  This can encourage unsustainable wildcrafting (collecting). I have
tried to point out to my colleagues that many cultivated plants can be
stronger than those in the wild (Cannabis comes to mind).  Additionally,
just how much wax do you need to polish a table?  Does more wax mean a
better shine?  I do not think so.

Therefore, there is much work that can be done among practitioners
themselves to discover ways to promote sustainable harvest and rational
access to, and protection of, medicinal plants.

Kind Regards,
Robyn Klein, A.H.G., and Masters Graduate Student in Plant Sciences
Montana State University
Bozeman, Montana USA