[MPWG] Proposal of growing the American Ginseng in Uganda

Patricia_Ford at fws.gov Patricia_Ford at fws.gov
Wed Oct 1 16:21:30 CDT 2003

Any ideas for Mr. Busuulwa?  If so, please contact him directly and do not
fred_busuulwa at yahoo.co.uk

                      fred busuulwa
                      <fred_busuulwa at y         To:
                      ahoo.co.uk>              cc:
                                               Subject: Proposal of growing the American Ginseng (panax
                      09/30/2003 05:43         Quinquetolisis) in Uganda by scale growe
                      AM

The growing of herbs in Uganda for export is still a virgin sector. Most of
the herbs are wildcrafted for domestic consumption and market. The land is
fertile and under utilised.

The American ginseng (Panax quinquefolius) has been indentified as the
second highly valued herb. The ginseng has been documented to have multi
uses and it is on demand .

The present and the future demand of ginseng may not be overcome by the
present supply of wildcrafting it which is enviromentally unfriendly and
not sustainable in the long run unless there is a private initiative and
support extended to the interested out growers by the current  users,
processors and buyers.

I am happy to inform you that I and others in Uganda have vested interests
in growing the ginseng on commercial basis for export so as to raise our
family incomes .

However for our innovation to be successful and prosperous, it will need to
link up with the outside potential buyers , processors and users . we need
to inform them about our plans  so as to give us a way forward as regards;
i. The asssurance of the market before beginning to grow
ii.The method of cultivating if the market is available
iii.Where to obtain the seeds for planting
Iv. Any other alternative or advice if this is not possible in subsector
of herbs.

I will be very grateful if you let us know the above information.
I thank you in advance.

Yours Faithfully,

Busuulwa Fred.
Initiator of the proposal.

Want to chat instantly with your online friends? Get the FREE Yahoo!
Messenger