[MPWG] Can You Help?

Eric T Jones etjones at ifcae.org
Wed Nov 19 11:13:51 CST 2003

Interesting question.  In the U.S. an extensive biodiversity of species are
used for food and medicine, both commercial and noncommercial.  While I
don't know of any that have become extinct, what is apparent is that our
natural resource agencies have rarely managed for them.  Consequently many
foods and medicines are adversely impacted by other dominant management
activities like logging, grazing, mountaintop removal, roadbuilding, and
development.  For example, until recently Pacific Yew (Taxus brevifolia)
which is used for treating ovarian cancer was considered a trash tree by
managers and logging companies.  After clearcutting the forest for the fir
trees, yew was scooped up into slash piles (along with the Devil's Club,
mushrooms, ferns, maples, etc. etc.) and burned.  It is interesting to note
that many local people in the northwest have long valued brevifolia for a
range of purposes including fine furniture making, beads, floral
decorations, etc.  These are often the same people vilified in the
environmental community as the ones who will overharvest and degrade the
resource.  It's only too bad they couldn't go in and at least salvage some
of the resources before they were put into the slash pile and burned, don't
you think?

My organization maintains an extensive species database for U.S. nontimber
forest product species at www.ifcae.org/ntfp/ .  To my knowledge none of
the over 1,300 species listed in the database are extinct but we would be
very interested in learning of any that are.  We also maintain links to a
variety of other databases where you can pinpoint information on threatened
and endangered status, cultural info, and other.

Eric T. Jones, Ph.D.
Institute for Culture and Ecology
PO Box 6688
Portland, OR 97228-6688