[MPWG] Bioregionalism and Herbalism Question

Niki Telkes texas_herbalist at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 4 01:21:09 CST 2003

Hi this is Niki,

Here's a question maybe someone can answer.  I joined this list when I
worked at the American Botanical Council.  I have been on this list on an
off for a good five years or so now.  I feel like the listserve is a great
resource but I would like to be involved on a deeper level.  What are my
options?  I looked at the green medicine website and am still not sure where
I fit except that I know I don't want to do any fundraising.
I can't really do much as far as surveys if it involves Osha or Black
Cohosh.  Here in Central Texas I think my elevation gradient here varies
from sea level to under 750 ft.  The interesting thing is that we have five
different vegetative zones that converge here.  Lots of plants.  Lots of
private land that has been decimated by cows with bits and pieces of plant
stands.  Lots of land that people are interested in restoring, and they have
some sort of special ag exemptions for land restoration now.
Most of the native medicinals here are not even beginning to be incorporated
in to the popular herb market, even locally.   I feel like I have to spend
most of my time educating people about what an herbalist does for you
compared to an herb store and why using local weedy alternatives is so
important.   I keep repeating myself over and over to different audiences
but I think it will be years before people really start to integrate native
medicinals into their consciousness.  I am trying to be patient but the Old
Growth Pockets of the NorthWest keep calling to me so I may have to bid
farewell to Texas is the next year or two.
I realize now that I haven't gotten too involved with United Plant Savers or
this group because I don't really understand where this group stands as far
as bioregionalism and wildcrafting is concerned. When it comes to
wildcrafting and supplying a national market with a medicine, I have a hard
time believing it can be done sustainably, or that it will be implemented
sustainably, at least in the U.S.  I am a firm believer that there is almost
always a local substitute available, or a combination of plants that can
make up for whatever you can;t get in your area.  Where does this group
stand?  Maybe I haven't read far enough on the web site.

Another question.  I had to buy a lot more herbs than usual from wholesale
suppliers instead of wildcraft since I am studying various bodywork
therapies and stuck in the city.  I have called many herb companies and I
keep running into people that get very uptight and almost personally
offended if I ask any questions about their wildcrafting standards.  Is
there any system of certification in place by any group that oversees that
suppliers of wildcrafted herbs maintain any standards at all?  I have a hard
time taking people's word that they have ethically wildcrafted herbs.  I try
to get everything from people I know but I am at a point that I need bigger
suppliers to make it more affordable.   I know people have to get certified
to be organic.  Shouldn't it be the same for wildcrafted products?  That
would be a great thing......
Also when a company gurantees that their plants are not irradiated is that
really something they can guarantee?  I seem to remember researching this
and getting information that almost every herb an spice that entered the
U.S. was zapped with radiation, or at least that no one could guarantee any
differently.  Is there better info somewhere?

Maybe I am at a good point in the community here where I can help create a
strong conservation ethic before everyone starts digging up their local
Berberis trifoliolata to use instead of the exotic ones in commerce.    If
there is something I can do in the next year or two that would help link
this group the wonderful plants here, let me know.  Otherwise, I would just
like to join in one of the focus group discussions.

Nicole Telkes
Herbalist and Wildcrafter

P.S.  My article on the National Medicinal Plant fest of Mexico turned into
two articles.  I am finishing and separating out the two.

Crave some Miles Davis or Grateful Dead?  Your old favorites are always
playing on MSN Radio Plus. Trial month free!