[APWG] Use the weed thatch to kill themselves, 99.997% kill in 60 days

craig at astreet.com craig at astreet.com
Tue May 7 12:02:35 CDT 2013

> Zounds! 99.997 percent? Pretty good! But where's the evidence? Or
is

> Dremann just kidding?
Dear Wayne and All,
Thanks for your
email.  Using a five inch thick layer of weed straw mulch on
germinating annual and biennial weed seedlings, like what is mostly
covering California and the Great Basin, gets rid of 99.997% of the
seedlings within 60 days.   You are welcome to visit the site and
measure the results.  In Palo Alto, off I-280 and two block from the
Page Mill Road exit.
The big issue, is that you only have a
few weeks to sow or plant the local native back and fill that vacancy at
as close to 100%, by May 1st.   It is remarkable to see what happens
when you get a local native grasslands back to close to 100% cover--like
the butterflies, and the birds and the bumblebees, that do not occur
anywhere else on the surrounding 70 acres, have found your 40x20 foot test
plot.
And the paintings of the project  are #11 of
http://www.ecoseeds.com/art.html and #41, 43 and 46 at
http://www.ecoseeds.com/art3.html.
Sincerely,  Craig Dremann
(650) 325-7333

============

> Dear Wayne and All,

> Love the discussion. Why not just limit the use herbicides only on
the

> perennials when needed, and apply from wicks instead of spray?
Wouldn't

> that solve all the problems?

> The annual weeds are going away 99.997% with the use of straw mulch
in

> my Poppy Project in Palo Alto, California, that you can see at

> http://www.ecoseeds.com/arastradero.html.

> I look at the weed thatch, cut either before the seeds are ripe,
or

> after the seeds are shed, as my most valuable weed-killing material

> use, to kill 99.997% of the weed seedlings of the future, without
the

> use of any herbicides at all.

> Sincerely, Craig Dremann (650) 325-7333.

05/06/13

> ------=_20130506105620_50119--

> Any requests, advice or opinions posted to this list reflect ONLY
the