[APWG] Weed Control Methods Re: Why not use the weed thatch to kill themselves, instead of herbicides?

Wayne Tyson landrest at cox.net
Mon May 6 14:48:22 CDT 2013

Zounds! 99.997 percent? Pretty good! But where's the evidence? Or is Dremann just kidding?

I'm getting convinceder and convinceder that zero is the best number for glyphosate "compounds." Thick enough thatch will kill almost anything, including "desirable" plants.

What works best is a healthy ecosystem, pretty much unperturbed.

Most whacking methods, while providing some visceral satisfaction, jobs, and BigChem profits, do far more harm than good. Digging, and even pulling, create localized disturbances which favor weed growth, and chemicals, thatch, other quick fixes can, and usually do, kill emerging natives.

Even alien weeds can provide some ecosystem services, such as soil-building, habitat for indigenous organisms, and food, for example.

Trying to bend Nature to our will, our fantasies is questionable, at best. We need to re-examine our assumptions and deal with verifiable evidence and numerous replications.

But most and easiest of all is look at the causes of alien species colonization. Without that information and understanding, one can't really come to any valid conclusions.

WT