[APWG] Mathematical constants, equations--includes soil nutrients

Wayne Tyson landrest at cox.net
Sun Sep 30 00:00:15 CDT 2012

Craig et y'all:

I do believe that ranges and degrees "of things" are some of the "missing
intellectual links" in our pursuit of understanding how things work as
opposed to merely accumulating "knowledge." In fact, I will go further and
suggest that they are the elephant in the room whom we have been ignoring in
favor of the mess of pottage that consists of counting, classifying, and
statistical reduction of complex phenomena into a convoluted hodge-podge of
academic fantasies.

When it comes to the study of ecosystems and restoration project performance
in particular, "cover" is almost irrelevant. Snapshots of particular states
are indicative only of what is sampled in a particular instant in a
continuously-changing phenomenon, and as such are "out of date" a moment
after they are made. A series of snapshots, however crude, could have value
in representing, to some degree, a trend value that could actually tell us
something of value, depending upon what is "measured" and how it is
measured.

Some plants do appear to be aggressive against other plants, as in the case
of parasites and hemiparasites, and can be useful as a "management tool,"
but they are most effective when integrated with other elements in the whole
system (which includes elements which are intentionally introduced as well
as those over which we have little or no control, as in invasion). But for
the most part "competition" is more of an imaginary value/element of human
culture than an ecosystem phenomenon.

I agree that nutrient levels are important but I have no idea what you mean
by "mathematical constant" (no one has explained that yet). At a practical
level, the most important element (pun intended) with respect to nutrition
is one reason for my proposal to the Encyclopedia of Life at the
Smithsonian. We know too little about the range of requirements and
tolerances and interactions and their effects upon single organisms, groups
of organisms, or ecosystems to reduce the interactions of elements and
species to any mathematical "constant," but we do have a few handfuls of
facts and inferences that have seemed to have held up in application and
replication long enough to make them useful. We have not progressed much
from the judo stage of "management," but that may be good enough until we
have collected enough data to produce a computer program that can prove
itself by predicting outcomes of natural and artificial events (e.g. weather
and human interventions like ecosystem restoration projects).

In general, added nutrients tend to favor weedier plants; stress (low levels
of available nutrients) tend to favor indigenous plants, not the other way
around. This has not kept me from adding nutrients in particular amounts at
particular times in particular places, and it has induced me to take actions
that limit nutrient availability. The kind of dynamics at work here remain
poorly understood, and again, until we have more data we may continue to act
in ignorance, save for the use of that part of our brains that can process
complex interactions without consciously "knowing" how far we should go and
what we should and should not do at any time or in any set of conditions.

If the concept of "mathematical constants" is "brand new," in view of the
statement that Dremann has been using them for fifteen years, I wonder when
Dremann will explain what he means by the term as it applies to ecosystems?
I certainly do hope that they have "great potential for the future," and I
look forward to their being explained as the great contribution they might
bring to society.

WT