[APWG] Mathematical constants, equations--includes soil nutrients

Craig Dremann - Redwood City Seed Company Craig at astreet.com
Fri Sep 28 09:35:26 CDT 2012

Dear Wayne and All,

Thanks for your email.

Constants are the mathematical ranges for things, and the equations are
the links made between the constants for each species.   Once you have the
equations, they  can be used to write a computer program, to predict the
outcome if the percentage cover of one or more species is changed, how
would everyone else sort themselves out?

This could have an agricultural value also, where you could intentionally
plant a seed to take the place of a weed that grows, say in your corn
field, but would be less aggressive against the corn itself than the weed
would.

SOIL NUTRIENT LEVELS. I wanted to add, that every native species, also has
a mathematical constant for the nutrient levels that it needs to thrive,
for the soil organic matter contained in the top two inches of soil under
the thatch, along with the nitrogen, phosphorus, potassium, calcium and
pH.

And that mathematical constant idea for soil nutrients goes for all weeds
also.

You might find, like we do here in the arid West, many annual and biennial
weeds, like cheatgrass, Yellow star thistle, and medusahead, are only
indicators that your soil nutrient levels have dropped below the minimum
threshold mathematical constant for one or more nutrients needed by native
seedlings for their survival.

The soil nutrient mathematical constants are rarely taken into account,
either when managing weeds or when replanting native seeds and plants.
But whenever you are weeding or planting natives, becoming aware of the
soil nutrient mathematical constants, and the plant interaction
mathematical constants, will give you an invaluable tool for your project.

The idea of mathematical constants for soil nutrients and for plant
interactions, is a brand new area of the science of Ecological
Restoration, and since I have been using these concepts professionally for
the last 15 years myself, firmly believe that they have a very great
potential for the future.

Sincerely,  Craig Dremann (650) 325-7333