[APWG] [PCA] Native Phragmites Data

Joe Franke sapogordoeco at comcast.net
Wed Sep 5 15:18:40 CDT 2012

There is a perhaps different but related discussion that¹s going on out here
in the West concerning Tamarisk. To many of us attempting to do restoration
work we¹ve realized that the spread and extreme ³weediness² of plant is more
of a symptom of poor water management than an evil unto itself, and becomes
a convenient shill that distracts (mostly federal) land managers from the
real problem: not enough water on the land, and disrupted flood cycles. We
can blame tamarisk all we want, but the real problem lies in our species¹
wasteful use and mismanagement of the water resource.

On 9/4/12 7:35 PM, "Robert Layton Beyfuss" <rlb14 at cornell.edu> wrote:

> Thanks to all who have responded and elaborated on my original query. I think
> the general consensus is that native plants cannot be ³officially² invasive
> but they surely can be problematic! I have a colleague at Cornell who refers
> to native weeds that behave like invasives as ³interfering² vegetation. No one
> has ever satisfactorily defined ³exotic² in my opinion and I consider
> Clinton¹s executive order as a political gaffe that has mostly served to make
> ecologists fight over semantics as the exchanges here seem to verify. I am not
> so sure how much science has advanced due to executive orders.  It has also
> generated a backlash that causes people to hate plants from Europe or Asia in
> general and to create black lists and white lists of plants which  I find very
> disturbing. Vastly different ecosystems exist even within a given state or
> region. I consider it impossible to say that a plant which is native to Canada
> is exotic anywhere in n North America but it surely does not exist in many
> American ecosystems.. So where does one draw the border line? Black locust, as
> one poster mentioned is a classic example of a plant that grew satisfactorily
> in one particular place, but now seems to be a problem in other places not
> very far away. Some states consider it as exotic. Plants don¹t recognize
> borders and neither should we in trying to tell ³good² plants from ³bad²
> plants based on their lack of green cards. Ecosystems are highly dynamic as
> succession creates profound changes in species composition. Almost all plants
> have their merits and demerits in ecosystems and many exotic plants have
> served us very well indeed. Poison ivy may provide food for 60 or 70 bird
> species but so do Autumn olive and multiflora rose without being toxic to
> touch.  Introduced species are now hybridizing with related native ones as is
> the case with Phragmites and probably others. How will we classify their
> offspring? If they originate in the US, are they not native? If the hybrids
> become even more invasive does that fact become moot because they originated
> here?

Joe Franke
Sapo Gordo Ecological Restoration Services
Chile Dog Designs, Inc.
1228 Lafayette Dr. NE
Albuquerque, NM 87106 USA
ph: 505-515-8736