[APWG] Goal: 1, 000 acres native grasslands 99.5% native in 5 years

Craig Dremann - Redwood City Seed Company Craig at astreet.com
Fri Mar 23 10:17:27 CDT 2012

Dear All,

We had our meeting of land managers in Redwood City, CA. on Tuesday where
we discussed the 30 steps to take, to get native grasslands back to 99.5%
weed-free within 180 days or less, that you can read about at
http://www.ecoseeds.com/grass.yes.html

The first step, is to go and measure what point we are starting at with
the ruined grasslands that we want to get rid of the weeds, and restore to
99.5% native plant cover.  I am suggesting the Evans & Love 1957 toe-point
linear transect, walking 100 paces and noting what plant your toe touches.

If anyone who is managing grasslands, want to follow along with our 30
steps, start by setting up a 100 pace transect through your grassland
site, and I will be posting my transect results for our area, at
http://www.ecoseeds.com/WMA.html next month.

Also you could set up some small scale test plots, which are Steps number
7, 8, 9, and 10.  If you are a government agency that approves mitigation
projects, have the permittees set up those plots for you before they
attempt the big project, so you can test the performance standards for
their technologies.

If the test plots do not produce 99.5% native plant cover within 180 days,
then more test plots need to be set out, until that standard is achieved.

If you are a government agency that supplies the revegetation specs for
project that are done on you own lands, like revegetation of a gas or oil
pipeline right-of-way through Federal lands, like you can see at
http://www.ecoseeds.com/greatbasin.html, then hire a company to try your
specs in small scale test plots, and see if they really work.

The first step, is to do your Evans & Love (1957) toe-point 100-pace
transect, and that will give you a clue on how far you have to go, to get
to 99.5% native cover in the future.

Sincerely,  Craig Dremann (650) 325-7333