[APWG] Quoting messages when replying to the list

Wayne Tyson landrest at cox.net
Tue Mar 6 09:18:01 CST 2012

Whew! I envisioned you heroically dumpster-diving and sleeping under plastic
just to keep the list going.

As to netiquette, it can be taken to extremes. One list's moderator insists
that responders quote only the parts of the earlier message that are
relevant to the current post be included. The trick is twofold: to decide
what is really, really relevant and what isn't (because one gets a nasty
comment from the moderator or he simply doesn't post the response), and to
second-guess what every subscriber reading the comment considers relevant.
This creates a heavy enough workload that I, for one, have just decided to
stop posting there, and I'm thinking of unsubscribing because some of the
best commenters have done likewise.

This is one example of the excesses of netiquette (sometimes a front for a
minority of control-freaks, and OCD victims); if you'd like a fuller
analysis, I'll respond to your request.

It seems that the bottom-line is whether or not the list policies promote or
undermine list goals. Trouble is, it is impossible to assess those who are
not there. I suppose you must know, however, how many subscribers you have
and how many have unsubscribed.

Thank you again for hosting.

WT