[APWG] [RWG] Ecosystem Restoration Collapse

Wayne Tyson landrest at cox.net
Tue Feb 28 15:32:46 CST 2012

APWG:

Ecosystems are a reflection of the complex factors that make up habitats, and some of these factors are going to be different and change with time. Things like species composition are unlikely to quickly be the same under change, and many known and unknown factors are involved. As Imlay has pointed out, nothing is ever exactly the same, so the goal of "restoration" can't sensibly be to "return" and ecosystem to what it was or may have been in the past. The "restored" ecosystem may be different in the sense of conventional measurements, but if it is self-sufficient it will still be an ecosystem. The species composition will be a reconciliation of a number of forces, such as climate and the organisms themselves, in varying amounts and ratios that change with changing circumstances. Perhaps Imlay will elaborate on his earlier post.

Fire, grazing, and other disturbances all have different effects depending upon uncountable and perhaps unknown or unknowable variables.

As a practical matter, diversity tends to "wobble" a bit, and that's one of its advantages. Under one set of circumstances, types, species, and genes will "move" toward center-stage, as it were, and in another recede. DeLeo is quite right in her observation that the availability of propagules is an important factor, and introduction of seeds, spores, and other elements necessary for the development of an historic ecosystem component may need to be artificial--part of a restoration program. When natural sources and/or dispersal agents are missing, the restoration program should consider whether or not that piece of the puzzle should be left out or compensated for by acting as a temporary vector.

Rodents and other fauna often play a seemingly contrary role in restoration programs, but I have learned to look more deeply into their role (Rodents, for example, are important in the soil-building process.) in the ecosystem recovery process, which may take more time that that arbitrarily "determined" by us. I have resorted to various tricks to "restore" structure, for example (e.g., perching and nesting poles and boxes, brush piles, etc.), which can have an indirect effect on faunal activity and its effects on the developing ecosystem. If a site is so isolated by development as to banish access and habitat for some top-predators like coyotes, for example, raptors and other predator species might be employed to limit the amplitude of boom/bust cycles.

WT