[APWG] [RWG] Ecosystem Restoration Collapse

DeLeo, Claire cdeleo at bouldercounty.org
Mon Feb 27 16:28:10 CST 2012

We have done some fairly extensive grassland restoration of old ag fields in our agency. Some of these restoration projects go back 15 years. One thing we struggle with is managing our grassland restorations for disturbances that grasslands are evolved with, such as fire and grazing. We don't have the ability to manage some of our restored grasslands in this way because of prescribed fire restrictions or expense of fencing to allow grazing. When we can't manage this way, we see the weeds returning. We have to resort to mowing, but it doesn't really mimic natural grassland disturbances.

The other thing we struggle with is diversity in our restorations. We are pretty good at getting cool season grasses to establish, but warm season grasses and forbs are much harder in our semi-arid climate. We aren't seeing these species come in on their own, probably because the seed source is not there in the surrounding areas (too much development).

I have seen collapse of our grassland restorations when prairie dogs move in too soon after restoration has been initiated. I'd like to hear from others what the optimum time is for a grassland restoration to be able to support prairie dogs? We have been saying at least 10 years, but we really don't know.

Thanks, Claire

Claire DeLeo
Plant Ecologist
Boulder County Parks and Open Space