[APWG] Ecosystem Restoration Performance Survey techniques and results Re: 200 Endangered species need their habitats weeded inCalifornia

Wayne Tyson landrest at cox.net
Tue Apr 3 22:02:58 CDT 2012

Hi Craig,

How did you determine your survey methodology? I've certainly heard of
"point-toe intercept" or whatever it's properly called, but have forgotten
which published paper(s) or book(s) prescribe the methods that have been
more or less consistently followed for the past several decades. I've also
forgotten when it all got started.

Working only from memory (most of my library is in boxes), I think I read
about it in Daubenmire first, but also seem to remember a paper from a
Forest Service research station publication that outlined the one where you
cut a little V-shaped notch in your boot, but have forgotten the details,
especially the part about determining sample size and the randomness of
transect placement.

Just offhand, it seems to me that the arbitrary selection of 100 feet would
not meet normal criteria for sample size adequacy. And not that I think it
makes much difference, but a pace of two feet may not be standard either.
All in all, it seems to me that the survey methods are non-standard (that
doesn't necessarily bother me either, as all I care about is that the
sampling closely reflects the entire population.

If you've had trouble getting independent researchers to take on the job of
providing the information from an uninvolved third party, you have my
sympathy--I had the same problem for so long that I finally gave up. It's
hard to convey credibility when the fox is measuring the henhouse, but ya
gotta do what ya gotta do, I reckon. Context is everything.

My guess is that your sample is inadequate and to get adequacy you will have
to gather a mountain of data entries to get even close with point intercept
a la boot toe. You might be able to reduce the data gathering load by using
a combination of randomly-located Relevés or Braun-Blaquets along the
transects if you want to get good cover data along with species composition
and relative population data (however crude--but economical and not
significantly misleading). In my view, cover is the least useful and most
misleading "metric" of all, and mostly irrelevant in terms of determining
restoration project performance.

WT