[APWG] Positive interactions between native and non-native species

Wayne Tyson landrest at cox.net
Thu May 26 20:48:00 CDT 2011

Dear Zelianne:

I refer you to a recent discussion on this list with the subject line:
Plants  Alien  Uses

Having worked for several decades in "ecosystem restoration," I have made
several observations with respect to your line of enquiry, but have not
published specifically on this subject. I do, however, think that your
research could be a significant contribution to the literature. Here is a
summary of my offhand observations/thoughts on the subject, for what they
may be worth:

1. What I am arrogantly calling "Tyson's Law" says that "Organisms do what
they can, when they can, where they can."

2. What I call the Goldilocks Hypothesis: Organisms have ranges of both
(genetic) requirements and tolerances that we might call "habitat
requirements and limitations." (For example, temperature, radiation,
salinity, pH, nutrients, toxins, water, oxygen, carbon dioxide, etc., etc.)

3. Organisms tend to thrive best when the match between habitat requirements
and habitat characteristics are optimal for any given organism.

4. Organisms tend to be limited as the habitat fails to be characterized by
an optimal match between it requirements and any given habitat.

5. The two preceding features of organisms and habitat/environment are
largely, if not entirely, responsible for the diversity of organisms in any
given place at any given time.

6. All of the preceding change, become different at different rates for
different reasons (e.g., "seasons," epochs, eras, "time of day," etc.); that
is, they are dynamic, not static.

7. Most humans have difficulty conceiving of change, and are "more
comfortable" with static concepts or those changes which are readily
observed, limited, or otherwise convenient.

8. Most organisms have the capacity to adaptively change to some extent, and
as changes in habitat characteristics occur, those organisms having larger
capacities to change (adaptive potential) are likely to be the ones which,
in a changed state, survive and reproduce most.

9. Organisms themselves become "change agents" affecting habitat
characteristics and other organisms.

10. The number of variables acting and interacting over time is exceedingly
difficult to "model," and the complexity of ecosystems may be too great to
fully explain or predict consequences of changes. While changes in
temperature, for example can be a powerful influence upon organisms, genetic
variation within species may cause a shift in ecotypes that results in
adaptation rather than shifts in populations or distributions, but those
also may occur. No model at all might be better than one that lacks
demonstrated ability to predict change outside of the laboratory, but may
have utility when combined with other analytical techniques within the scope
of its actual relevance. Creating a database of the adaptive range of
organisms and the range of it requirements and tolerances might be a simple
way to accumulate data that can have real predictive value without as many
bells and whistles that seem to characterize some models.

11.  It is likely to be a long time before computer models have the
capability to predict more than the assumptions built into them, and
probably longer before they become the "savior" of Earth ecosystems.

12. "Colonizing" species are merely those which have moved or been moved to
a habitat for which they are sufficiently well suited to a given habitat,
conditions which sufficiently match (or "fall within") their range of
requirements and tolerances.

13. "Alien" species are those which did not evolve within a particular
ecosystem subset.

14. Indigenous species can colonize changed habitats; this is a major
element of ecosystem resilience. For example, indigenous "weeds" that
colonize disturbed habitats and occupy (and change) them until changed
conditions are again unfavorable to them, mirror the ecological processes
that make "alien invasions" possible.

15. We might ponder whether or not "invasions" are more cultural artifact
than natural process, but certainly natural, non-cultural processes are
involved.

These are all points which could be pursued at greater length and improved,
and certainly the list is not complete. Yeates and others can, I am certain,
add to them, shed further light upon their content, and organize them
better. I only hope that they will be useful to Yeates and to others in the
pursuit of better understanding of how Nature works, how it affects human
cultural activities, and how they affect the Earth and its life.

As Yeates and others reveal more about their thinking and debate the merits
and defects stated here in future discussions, the science of ecology and
the practices of ecosystem management and mismanagement might become a bit
more understandable and "accurate." The relevant sciences and current
practices in this "field" can then change, one hopes, for the better.

I will appreciate criticisms.

WT