[APWG] Licensed techologies for weed management/restore arid West USA

Craig Dremann - Redwood City Seed Company Craig at astreet.com
Mon Feb 7 15:41:44 CST 2011

Dear Wayne and All,

Thank you for your email.  The Great Basin project is one of our trade
secret locations, where our clients have used our ecological restoration
technologies, in that case, to replant 600 acres within a cheatgrass
infested area.

There have been hundreds of native plant and weed eradication projects in
the arid West, since I started in business 40 years ago.  However, when
you go back to look at them five year later, in most cases, either another
weed has taken the place of the original weed that you were trying to
eradicate, or in the case of a native upland planting, it failed to ever
achieve 100% native cover.

Any weed management, especially here in our 99.99% weed-infested
California, should have as its goal, 100% native cover as the final
chapter to the exercise.

In order to do that, you have to invent new methods of weed management and
native plant planting, that has support for those technologies, as
performance standards, where you can consistently achieve 100% native
cover within a particular given period of time.

And the concept of adaptive management is never, ever a part of those
technologies.   Instead, you spend a lot of time on small scale test
plots, and get them to be successful first, before you even start the big
project.

That is what is shown for the Great Basin/cheatgrass 600 acres, the small
scale test plots, and then the successful big project to-the-horizon at
http://www.ecoseeds.com/greatbasin.html

The successful technologies must be invented first, and since they require
a lot of time and effort and inventing that must be done, therefore have
an economic value separate from the project itself.

That is why we offer our ecological restoration technologies as trade
secrets to our clients under a licensing agreement, only to be used for
particular projects, similar to the agreement that you agree to, when you
load a new computer program into your computer.

Efficient weed management and uplands restoration technologies in
California must have a significant value in themselves, so we can do each
large areas like 100+ acres, quickly, efficiently and at a low cost.

Sincerely, Craig Dremann (650) 325-7333