[APWG] Allelopathy knowledge can save a lot of timewhenweeding+restoring areas

Wayne Tyson landrest at cox.net
Mon Aug 29 16:35:39 CDT 2011

All:

I appreciate Craig's reference, and would be interested in further details
from anyone that would facilitate my updating. I'm far too lazy to try to
catch up with all of the literature since the last millennium (and even then
I didn't keep up with everything).

One thing straw can do is take nitrogen away from weeds; another is shade
out emerging seedlings. But I am still curious about which particular
chemicals are active against weeds, and which ones. I think we all have a
responsibility to avoid grand proclamations and cherry-picking facts. I have
made my share of broad claims, but have always been open to specific
information that could prove them wrong.

Many years ago, I shredded up several acres of coastal chaparral and soil
and applied it to a restoration site. I noticed that most weeds were quite
stunted the first year. The first thing I thought of was allelopathy, and I
visited C. H. Muller and asked him what caused the Salsola kali to be only a
few inches high on the project while those within a couple of feet of them
off the project were so big (2 or 3 feet or more). He didn't have an answer.
I still don't. But I suspect nitrogen reduction caused by decay organisms
working on the shredded vegetation mixed into the surface soil. The project
went on, without any further fussing around, to be my first truly successful
ecosystem restoration worthy of the name. So I'm always eager to learn
something specific and well-researched in the area of allelopathy (whatever
that is).

WT