[APWG] Ecosystem Restoration and Species and Micorhabitat Matching Re: What about native grass and herbaceous perennial colonizers?

Wayne Tyson landrest at cox.net
Thu Aug 18 18:08:56 CDT 2011

APWG:

While I am not familiar with Maryland's indigenous species, what I think I
understand is there are some well-known indigenous "pioneers" that "invade"
or colonize open niches rather readily, some by wind (to some extent) and
others by animals. Others may "march" outward from established colonies
opportunistically if no other vector mechanism is present. Birds are common
dispersal agents, and humans can mimic their activities to accelerate
succession and even the development of climax associations. I'm certain that
I'm not telling you anything you don't know, but since this is a group
email, I thought some mention of the obvious might be useful to the
discussion.

There are a few ways of inhibiting new colonists (providing they don't have
some clever means of evading them), such as filling the "vacated" niches
with species best adapted to the conditions present on that specific
location (there is a lot more structural and functional heterogeneity in
forest habitats than is commonly recognized). Conversely, microhabitats that
do not exhibit conditions congenial to some species mitigate against such
introductions (this is one of the causes of "failure" in ecosystem
restoration projects). I tend to agree in principle with Dremann's comments
about immediate niche-filling as a means of reducing colonization success of
some species.

Out here in the West where I am more familiar with habitat conditions, one
of the most useful species assemblages for this purpose (but almost entirely
ignored, even though quite common and widespread, but also widely degraded)
where the appropriate microhabitat conditions are present are the
cryptobiotic soil "crust" associations. I suspect that mosses, for example,
are quite common in Maryland. Other plant species and species-specific
predators combined with other techniques can at least reduce the necessity
for hand-weeding, if not eliminate it. I am, however, not a great fan of
hand-weeding or any other form of weed-niche creation. Killing invaders in
place helps minimize niche-creating disturbance.

I am a bit surprised to learn from Dremann that Maryland and California have
so many species in common. In Southern California, for example, Sisyrichium
bellum can be a reasonably successful self-seeder under the right
conditions, but Dremann is no doubt right that "plugs" would be better.
Leymus triticoides is a very "useful" plant for suppressing weeds, but it
can be quite a "weed" itself. I am unaware of any "herbicidal" qualities of
this species, but would like to learn the specifics. It does, however, form
a very tight sod and has lots of leaves and stems. Shading and other
microhabitat-shifting may be largely responsible for its apparent
"allelopathic" action.

Again, I agree that 100% elimination of all species alien to that site
(including "natives" from other habitats) is a laudable goal in helping
preserve and enhance a small fragment of a once widespread "Eden" in that
region, even though I will probably never get to see it.

WT