[APWG] Alien Species Management Re: [RWG] FUNDING: Pulling Together Initiative 2011 RFP (invasiveplants)

Wayne Tyson landrest at cox.net
Tue Apr 26 21:09:19 CDT 2011

All:

[Note: Please see my previous post (Ecosystem Preservation Management Restoration Conservation Re: [APWG] PCA: 2011 Request for Proposals for PCA NFWF Grant Program).]

With respect to control of invasive species, my interests lie in the realm of science-derived public policy, prioritization/allocation, technical feasibility, and cost-effectiveness/demonstration. These factors are often left out of weed management efforts, resulting not only in waste of resources but in magnifying rather than reducing the overall invasive species problem. I am particularly concerned about the failure of many entities (particularly some profit-centered commercial ones) to comprehensively consider ecological factors in addition to those listed above, but am most interested to exceptions to that phenomenon. I believe that it is important, if not crucial, to consider the ecological context in each case, but this does not mean that I am "against" any particular method or practice, only that they are subject to adequate evaluation and proof, not only that they are effective, but the best, most cost-effective possible program possible. For example, while I am not "against" pulling weeds, that popular and intuitively "correct" practice can have disadvantages that should be honestly and scientifically weighed along with alternatives.

WT