[APWG] Fw: [PCA] princess tree/Paulownia

Gena Fleming genafleming at gmail.com
Fri Apr 15 17:59:53 CDT 2011

Dear APWG:

For what it's worth, I find a lot of customer complaints on the internet
about trees ordered from gardenerschoice.com, which has the same customer
service address in Hartford, MI as royaltreedeal.com.   This does not seem
to be a reputable company.

I am more concerned about the  ECO2 Forests story.  If you follow the link
to their website, you will see they are selling carbon credits.  Carbon
credit selling is what is behind a lot of the genetic engineering or forest
trees.

Paulownia has been genetically engineered for mass production.  It already
sequesters a lot of carbon.  Other trees are genetically engineered to
increase their carbon sequestration abilities and thereby create a market
for carbon sequestration.  Other reasons for genetically engineering trees
include the creation of mass plantations of weak, reduced-lignin trees to
increase the profits of the paper industry.

Paulownia is not an evil tree.  There is a place for it on our planet.

There is a problem, however, with mass introduction of any plant for
economic investment purposes, and manipulating entire genomes for the
convenience and profit of industry. .

The Global Forestry plan caters to multinational corporations that want to
purchase carbon credits (that they can get from the mass planting of cloned
Paulownia) so they do not have to reduce their carbon emissions.  Exotic
plants (unmanipulated but from other countries) are nothing compared to the
problems we will be facing down the road from the invasion of genomes with
foreign DNA  from other genera and other kingdoms.

It is the natural order of genera and kingdoms now that is being  invaded
--- not just habitats.

The problem, as usual, is not the plant.  It's people.

best regards,

Gena