[APWG] Fw: [PCA] princess tree/Paulownia

Chang, David dchang at co.santa-barbara.ca.us
Thu Apr 14 16:42:23 CDT 2011

I investigated a story I saw about an intentional planting of princess tree in Reno, Nevada.  The trees to be used are supposedly sterile.  Hopefully, the trees sold by https://www.royaltreedeal.com<https://www.royaltreedeal.com/> will also be sterile.

There is probably a regulatory process to nominate a species for noxious status in your area.  Unfortunately, California's regulations include a stipulation that designation of a species as noxious cannot detrimentally impact agriculture.

Sincerely,
David Chang
Agricultural Commissioner's Office
County of Santa Barbara, California
www.agcommissioner.com/wma<http://www.agcommissioner.com/wma>

Below is the story I included in my local WMA newsletter.

ECO2 Forests Smoke Creek Project 'A Tremendous Boost' Says Reno Mayor<http://www.marketwire.com/press-release/ECO2-Forests-Smoke-Creek-Project-A-Tremendous-Boost-Says-Reno-Mayor-1143812.htm>
http://www.marketwire.com/press-release/ECO2-Forests-Smoke-Creek-Project-A-Tremendous-Boost-Says-Reno-Mayor-1143812.htm

ECO2 Forests, http://www.eco2forests.com/,  wants to plant, near Reno, 14,000 acres of Kiri trees, also known as princess trees, (Paulownia tomentosa), in order to sequester CO2 and as a sustainable yield forest. Ironically, this environmentally beneficial project could become an environmental nightmare.

Paulownia tomentosa is an invasive tree in the eastern United States and is listed as an invasive plant on the Invasive Plant Atlas of New England<http://nbii-nin.ciesin.columbia.edu/ipane/ipanespecies/current_inv.htm>, with the Invasive Plants of the Southeast<http://www.se-eppc.org/weeds.cfm>, and with the Alien Plants Working Group<http://www.nps.gov/plants/alien/fact/pato1.htm>

Princess tree is an aggressive ornamental tree that grows rapidly in disturbed natural areas, including forests, stream banks, and steep rocky slopes. It tolerates infertile and acid soils and drought conditions.  It easily adapts to disturbed habitats, including previously burned areas, and landslides and can colonize rocky cliffs and scoured riparian zones where it may compete with rare plants in these marginal habitats. Its ability to sprout prolifically from adventitious buds on stems and roots allows it to survive fire, cutting, and even bulldozing in construction areas. A single tree is capable of producing an estimated twenty million seeds that are easily transported long distances by wind and water. (Adapted text courtesy of Alien Plants Working Group)

ECO2 Forests has a Global Forestry Plan that is frightening in its scope.  Those concerned about the spread of Paulownia tomentosa may want to question their Global Forestry Plan by contacting ECO2 Forests<http://www.eco2forests.com/contact-us.html>.

ADDENDUM - ECO2 Forests Apparently Not Invasive

In response to my request for a clarification to ECO2 Forests' Global Forestry Plan, I received the following email from Andrew Laing, Marketing and Communications Manager with ECO2 Forests:

"The US Sustainable Forest program will not be using the Tomentosa strain [SIC]. The following link discusses the non-invasive attributes of our Kiri that will be planted in this project - http://www.eco2forests.com/ECO2_Forests_Secure_US_Sustain-279-5-98.htm"
Regards,
Andrew Laing
Marketing and Communications Manager

ECO2 Forests' website, http://www.eco2forests.com/ECO2_Forests_Secure_US_Sustain-279-5-98.htm,  states they obtain their non-invasive stock from the Pauwlonia Tree Store - http://www.paulowniastore.com/

[I was informed by a knowledgeable source that,] CLIMEX modeling indicates that survival in Reno, Nevada even with supplemental watering will prove difficult, and the likelihood of escape and naturalization of a reproductive type is low.