[APWG] NEWS: USDA stops using beetles vs. invasive saltcedar

Bill Stringer bstrngr at clemson.edu
Tue Jun 22 12:13:07 CDT 2010

Am I missing something, or is the potential to regain the
environmental integrity of a hugely important part of the habitat of
the western US being held hostage by a single species (albeit a
red-blooded species)?

Admittedly, I am an Easterner with limited knowledge of the
salt-cedar/ willow flycatcher/ tamarisk beetle/riparian habitat, but
my inclination is to say "Go, beetles, go!"

If you don't have a copy already, go buy a copy of Bringing Nature
Home.... by Douglas Tallamy.  Also see
http://copland.udel.edu/~dtallamy/host/index.html .

Bill Stringer

At 09:59 AM 6/22/2010, Olivia Kwong wrote:
>http://www.seattlepi.com/local/6420ap_wy_saltcedar_beetle.html
>
>USDA stops using beetles vs. invasive saltcedar

William C. Stringer
President-emeritus
South Carolina Native Plant Society
<http://www.scnps.org/>www.scnps.org

PO Box 491
Norris, SC 29667

Clemson University
Entomology, Soils and Plant Science
864 656 3527
bstrngr at clemson.edu

"Go my Sons, burn your books.  Buy yourself stout shoes.  Get away to
the mountains, the valleys, the shores of the seas, the deserts, and
the deepest recesses of the earth.  In this way and no other will you
find true knowledge of things and their properties."

Peter Severinus, 16th. century Dane educator