[APWG] Annual Great Basin meeting, follows BLM path it already set?

Craig Dremann - Redwood City Seed Company Craig at astreet.com
Mon Aug 9 00:01:46 CDT 2010

Dear Wayne and All,

> How about a link to the BLM proceedings of the 2000 meeting?

I do not know where the link is, but the 2000 meeting was the Great Basin
Restoration Initiative, and the Boise office of BLM was leading it,
because that office does all of the bulk seed buying for the whole Great
Basin, for sowing after fires.  Up to 2 millions pounds of seed is
puchased each year, to sow on BLM Great Basin lands.

> Has there been one for the last ten years?
Have not heard of one.

> What, exactly, was the $3 million spent on?
http://www.ecoseeds.com/2.3million.html outlines all of the test plots
and experiments that were paid for by the $3 million, to figure out a
way to sow native seeds in the place of exotics.

> Do I interpret you correctly that another such meeting (actually "annual
> meetings") is your SUGGESTION, not something already planned?

Yes, annual meetings to talk about Great Basin grasslands is my suggestion.

> Where is the list of sources for the information, such as the amount of
> alien seed planted? I'd like to see a table, or raw data if that's all
> that's available.

My website lists the pounds of each exotic seed that was purchased by BLM
for the Great Basin in 2002, at
http://www.ecoseeds.com/juicy.gossip.six.html.
I got those numbers with a FOIA that I made through BLM.

> PS: How many acres will 500,000 pounds cover?

At 10 polunds to the acre, 50,000 acres, or about 100 square miles, that
are each year, permanently converted to perennial exotics, or at least
until the next Ice Age scrapes them off, or until we convert those areas
back to local natives.

Sincerely,  Craig Dremann (650) 325-7333