[APWG] Annual Great Basin meeting, follows BLM path it already set?

Craig Dremann - Redwood City Seed Company Craig at astreet.com
Fri Aug 6 12:24:01 CDT 2010

Dear Wayne and All,

My suggested annual, Great Basin 1/2 million pound of exotic seeds to 1/2
million pounds of local native seeds, follows what BLM has been planning
to do for at least a decade.

I attended the first meeting in Boise in 2000.  In the last decade, BLM
got a USDA grant of $3 million to find out how to plant native perennials
in the place of the annual weeds, like cheatgrass, that you can see at
http://www.ecoseeds.com/2.3million.html

It would be nice to hear from all the Great Basin BLM people on this
server, and to hear from the Washington Office BLM folks, and the Federal
Highways people that they want to seriously go forward with this
conversion, from sowing 1/2 million pounds of exotics on our public lands
and highways, to using only local native seeds?

I think a gradual weaning off of the exotics, like 100,000 pounds less per
year, might get the BLM and Federal highways, then in five years, it
possibly could be 100% native seeds?

Sincerely,  Craig Dremann (650) 325-7333