[APWG] Grassland Restoration and Management Re: Fall 2010 Great Basin native grass meeting, SLC?

Wayne Tyson landrest at cox.net
Thu Aug 5 15:45:28 CDT 2010

Dremann reminds me of the story of the Dutch boy who saved Holland, but it's
more like Craig has his whole fist in the dike. Good for him!

What meeting? Date(s)? When? Where?

I agree with most everything Dremann says, but will offer the following
points for discussion:

1. Sources for listed information needs to be fully cited.

2. Good science needs to be done to support general observations.

3. Direct exchanges with those responsible for decisions in federal, state,
and other agencies with respect to policy alternatives and compliance (by
agency employees and others) that actually result in direct responses on the
issues raised.

4. "Range management" objectives need to be clarified and discussed with
those involved in a disciplined way.*

WT

* For example, "type conversions" and seeding of non-indigenous species in
places like "range" and roadsides may provide some benefits, but they may
not hold up over time. There is a certain amount (total?) of resistance by
many of those in charge to any suggestion of managing for preservation or
restoration of indigenous species complexes. Since they have the power,
common courtesy in engaging them makes sense. For example, if it could be
shown that managing toward indigenous species complexes actually led to
better sustained productivity than exotic alternatives, some progress might
be made. But just talking amongst ourselves is unlikely to get anything
actually accomplished, however necessary that might be as a prelude to
action.