[APWG] Plants Alien Definition

John Barr jmbarr at academicplanet.com
Mon Aug 2 11:33:41 CDT 2010

Wayne,

Your definition for Alien appears to be workable.

Your definition for Invasive is, in my opinion, uselessly broad.
Using this definition, please name an organism that is not invasive?
All organisms attempt to "exploit niches that meet requirement for
life", otherwise they die.

Adding to what Bill said, alien invasive species can be problematic
not only because they have "very effective fitness traits", but
because they can arrive without their coevolved biologic controls.
Citing one local example, fire ants arrived without phorid flies.
The non native fire ants are not necessarily more fit than native fire
ant species.  The natives are held in check by coevloved controls.  http://www.sbs.utexas.edu/fireant/Research%20Program.html
   Given enough time (and damage to native ecosystems) some controls
for the fire ant will be expected to evolve locally.    (For the
record, introducing one species to control another is something that I
greatly fear.  The track record for these introductions is extremely
poor.  In my opinion, much harm has been done.)

Native invasives on the other hand would much more likely arrive with
their coevolved natural controls.  Using Robert Layton Beyfuss's
example of native plants expanding up hillsides with climate change,
the coevolved natural controls would be expected to move with the
native invaders.  An entire ecosystem would likely move upslope.  This
does not change the likelihood that the higher elevation species will
be displaced, possibly to extinction, but we would not likely see the
monocultures that the most problematic alien invaders are capable of
producing.

So, we need to narrow the definition of invasive. This is guaranteed
to ruffle feathers.  I

n my opinion, the concepts of "alien" and "invasive" are creations of
people and not creations of nature.  I believe that most of us would
not consider the species that arrived on the Galapagos islands before
man to be alien invaders, but certainly we would consider those
species man brought to the islands to be alien invaders.

As a second pass, I would propose: An alien invasive species is one
that arrives in a new ecosystem, as a result of human intervention, to
the detriment of the native ecosystem.  An alien invader can benefit
one or more native species, but it must be understood in the context
of the entire ecosystem.

By my definition, brown tree snakes on pacific islands invade with the
direct intervention of humans (planes and boats), the native
ecosystems climbing elevation as a result of human caused climate
change is an indirect intervention, but an alien invasion none-the
less.  If the climate change is not human caused, they are not alien
invaders.  Our beloved armadillos in Texas are not alien invaders
because they, apparently, arrived without human intervention.

Yikes,

John