[APWG] Plants Alien Definition

Wayne Tyson landrest at cox.net
Mon Aug 2 10:17:10 CDT 2010

Quite. Note that I took care not to claim that "other" organisms did not exploit niches that meet their life requirements; all organisms are opportunists. Indigenous plants are, by definition, matched in their life requirements with the conditions under which they have developed adaptations (these niches are not always broad regions, but niche layers within them). Healthy ecosystems tend to resist invasion. Invasions may require "disturbances" to reproduce and persist. Just killing invaders, while satisfying to the practitioner, is not likely to prevent reinvasions unless the disturbed conditions which tipped the balance toward invasion also are corrected. One test of a true ecosystem restoration is its resistance to invasion.

WT