[APWG] The McDonaldization of the natural world

Bill Stringer bstrngr at clemson.edu
Mon Aug 2 09:07:11 CDT 2010

Bob, I'm sure that you know the literature, and the research ongoing
in control of invasive plants.  You are most likely aware that there
are lots of herbicidal, IPM and non-chemical alternatives that are
being used and developed for this purpose.

I'm sure you are aware that the definition of invasive is more
inclusive than invasive exotic.  There are very few knowledgeable
folks who think that only exotic plants can be invasive.

Yes, livestock grazing of certain invasive weeds can be very
effective, where livestock grazing is a viable option.  We find very
little kudzu on the livestock  side of pasture fences.  Grazing can
also damage indigenous species as well.  There are many situations
where livestock grazing is not an option.

I would hope that you would tackle the literature on the
relationships among native plants, insect herbivores and song birds
and game birds. That might help you to understand why native plant
people are passionate about reducing the impact of exotic and
indigenous invasive species.

Bill Stringer