[APWG] ECOSYSTEM MISMANAGEMENT? Re: Herbicides--why not convert to natural allelochemicals?

Wayne Tyson landrest at cox.net
Fri Sep 25 14:40:35 CDT 2009

APWG:

Natural chemicals and compounds are chemicals and compounds, but in the
amounts and ways in which ecosystems and organisms deliver them they are
less likely to cause "whipsaw" injuries to ecosystems than industrial
chemicals "applied" in simplistic ways. But, presuming that "natural"
chemicals and compounds can be produced in commercial quantities, they, too,
can be "applied" in simplistic ways. Besides, we don't have such "natural"
chemicals available, and even if we did, there's no assurance that we would
know how to use them.

What we do have is the ability to be truly integrated in our approach to
ecosystem management and restoration, and we know (at least relatively
crudely but effectively) how to manage nutrients and organisms to move
toward dynamic stability. After all, that IS, at least the implied objective
of alien species control--isn't it?

Perhaps the biggest problem with alien species control it the presumption
that "good" species will somehow spontaneously occupy niches emptied by IVM
and other control measures rather than recognizing that there is most often
a need for quickly "managing" the weed-killed site with indigenous component
resistant to reinvasion. The proof of which approach was necessary or not is
in the ACTUAL results that hold up in perpetuity. Having to "re-spray" or
"re-treat" is curiously seen as part of so-called IVM, rather than a defect
in the underlying presumptions.

WT